1748180 Members
4407 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re-configuring MSL6000 controlling host

Chris Shave
Occasional Contributor

Re-configuring MSL6000 controlling host

I have been trawling through these forums for a while trying to find a thread that contained information on how to re-configure an MSL6000 library for a new host, basically we are migrating our Data protector 5.1 cell server to a new box, I can get everything working except the library..

The library is Fibre connected, it is zoned on the SAN switchs to be seen by 3 HP-UX hosts & 1 Sun server, all hosts can see the 2 drives in the library.

Only the cell server can see the library itself, as shown by ioscan.

[root@melhpux2] /-> ioscan -funC autoch
Class I H/W Path Driver S/W State H/W Type Description
=======================================================================
autoch 0 0/6/0/0.1.17.255.0.0.0 schgr CLAIMED DEVICE COMPAQ MSL5000 Series
/dev/rac/c6t0d0

At this stage I believe the library router needs to be re-configured, but it doesn't seem you can do it without changing the current configuration, so am a little nervous about doing it until I can be more sure of what needs to be done.

Am connecting into it currently via the serial port, despite having the LAN interface connected the damn virtual interface won't work, I am presuming that the web interface is essentially the same as the serial in terms of menu's, configurable items etc.

So any info or links to other threads were this sort of thing is discussed would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
tkc
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Re-configuring MSL6000 controlling host

Hi Chris, make sure you configure the NSR to have the following configuration :

Port Mode : N_Port
Use Hard AL_PA : No
Discovery Mode : Manual Discovery Only (Default is Auto discovery)
Buffered Tape Writes : Enabled, Queue Depth = 1
Default Map : Indexed (all devices can be seen)
Performance Mode : 2 Gigabit (lock speed to switch port)

The Active Fabric Device (AF) Lun0 should be seen as the last device presented in the map for HP-UX.
Mark Poeschl_2
Honored Contributor

You will also need to add the WWID of the HBA in your new server to the "Port 0 Device Map" in the NSR. If the zoning is correct, the new WWID should show up in the drop-down list of available WWIDs to add.
Reynaldo Rosario
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

If you want to be able to see the library router(NSR)via the Lan interface, you must reconfigure the lan parameters of the NSR. The default values are for the DHCP to be active, so you must change this. Older versions comes configure with an ip 1.1.1.1.

regards.
Reynaldo Rosario
Occasional Advisor

Hi Chris,

If you want to be able to see the library router(NSR)via the Lan interface, you must change the lan parameters of the NSR. The default values are for the DHCP to be active, so you must work on this. Older versions comes configure with an ip 1.1.1.1.

regards.
Chris Shave
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the replies all, I may not have explained my problem clearly to start with as some anaswers covered things that were already working.

Basically the new cell server is already seeing the drives in the library & is getting backed up to them (triggered by the soon to be replaced cell server).

The issue was how to make the new cell server see the library itself (ioscan shows it as autoch device class), & I have found, after getting the web interface working, that it is to do with the map I assign it.

The web interface made it clearer how the map's actually work, I successfully tested a test map that allowed the new cell server to see the library.

So I believe I have got over the last hurdle & can now finish the cell server migration, but now the fun part, sorting out licensing..

Cheers again for the assists.