1748205 Members
4573 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reboots needed for backup exec.

Christian Bieletzki
Frequent Advisor

Reboots needed for backup exec.

Has abybody a solution (except from the non working articles within the Veritas knowledge base) to resolve reboot issues for a tape library MSLA 5060 with two ultrium 1 drives?

Every time there's a problem with the NSR I have to reboot the whole server to recognize the drive status correctly and get the library incl. drives back online.

Please do not submit basic troubleshooting things as I already have looked for them. I posted only in this forum because I might find somebody who has resolved this already.

Kind regards
Christian
Bille
4 REPLIES 4
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is this problem specific for Backup Exec ? We use a MSL 6060 library in a mixed SAN enviroment (Windows, Linux, HP-UX) but, have normally not any problems if rebooting the library/router.
Backup software is Data Protector.
Christian Bieletzki
Frequent Advisor

Yes, it seems that Backup Exec cannot deal with a change to the SCSI address or some mapping ID's. SCSI Bus rescan in Windows seems not to be sufficient or Backup Exec is not interpreting it right. There is one knowledge base article that is covering that topic but you have to delete and recreate the drive. That seems a bit awkward to me. However it states that the the recognition of the device after power cycling it does not work and by creating a new drive in Backup Exec it should come back up.
Bille
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Is the library connected to a server via SCSI? FC?
If FC, how your FC to SCSI router (usually an NSR e1200) is configured?
make sure you are using static map(s) instead of dynamic map(s).
If this applies to you please repost and I'll give you detailed information.
HTH
Claudio
Ian Grobler
Frequent Advisor

Christian. We have seen the same problems with B-Exec. If the NSR has a problem the servers drives & library go offline and can only be resolved by a reboot. Even if the OS can see the drives & library again B-Exec stubbornly refuses to acknowledge the devices as online... (enabling/disabling the devices in B-exec as per Veritas does not work!). Definitely a shortcoming in how the B-Exec software handles minor hardware issues.

Data Protector handles a NSR problem without much fuss and no reboots are required.
Looking forward to see if someone has a solution on this one!