3416 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Reduced Capacity DLT IVs

SOLVED
Go to solution
Andrew Kemp

Reduced Capacity DLT IVs

I have recently had a new DLT drive due to a hardware fault and since the installation there have been problems with new DLT IV tapes. It was a like-for-like replacement so there was no need for any software installation.
On the whole the new media cycle is OK, but 3 of the DLTs are showing errors stating that they have reduced capacity. On checking the media statistics I have noted that these tapes have anything upward of 15,000 soft-write errors incurred though they have only been used once. Before I speak to HP about replacing the tapes, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of possible ways to return the tapes to maximum capacity? The only thing I have tried is erasing (quick & long ) the tapes.
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Re: Reduced Capacity DLT IVs

Hello,

Have you been using the same cartridges as before?

Has this problem been here as soon as you replaced the DLT drive?

This problem can happen if the new DLT tape drive has a newer firmware level than the old one (which is quite plausible). Newer firmware detects more tape errors than older firmware, and more efficiently. It could be that the cartidges were already faulty before the tape drive change, and were only recognised as such by the new firmware. We had such cases when after a firmware upgrade to tape drives, the tape drives themselves went faulty after a few backups for the same reason.

Contact HP for clarification.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Hello,

Ok, now I see that the tapes have only been used once... :-)

Then, the problem may be firmware (again!). It is recommended that you have firmware v59 on DLT drives. Firmware levels before that can cause write errors on the cartridges, something like you are experiencing.

Check the firmware level and update to v59 if you have lower than that.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Andrew Kemp

Thanks for your help, just need the last part answered - Will it be possible to get maximum capacity out of these tapes?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

You may try to degauss the tapes. It may work, but it may not work.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!