108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Repeted IO errors (4024) on HP 1/8 Ultrium 3 autoloader

SOLVED
Go to solution
Nikelodian

Repeted IO errors (4024) on HP 1/8 Ultrium 3 autoloader

Greetings!

The device was running properly for over a year now, but recently, and without any configuration change the device has started producing io errors repetedly. Currently it isnt possible to run a single complete backup job. After I (hardware)reboot the device it seems to be running properly, but will fail after a few hours. I have tried using new tapes, but that does not solve the problem.

The device is not asking for a cleaning cartridge or something like that it just fails and than... doesnt do anything.
Even the "test device" job wont produce results in this stage.
If I start the L&TT test tool before the error occures, it only states that the SCSI connection should be faster. (Afterwards it does not find the device anymore..)
We use Data Protector Express for backing up.

Help or ideas would be very much appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Niklas
5 REPLIES 5
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

it looks like you may have a damaged scsi cable or terminator
collect a support ticket and attach it here
Nikelodian

I always assumed that since I didnt change the SCSI configuration that would not be the cause of the problem :-/
Thanks for your time!
Nikelodian

(the requested sup. ticket)
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

there are three point you should investigate

the first is the scsi cable, in fact we can see that at some time it negotiate in Narrow and SE mode. but the last powercycle seems to be at 160.

the second is shown in the attached extract, you can see that the initiator continusly (after the inventory where it loaded six tapes) set the reserve and then release flag of the drive, not sure why this occuring, could be some config issue, or some backup application conflict (you may have installed some other backup application for test and then the uninstall have left some services running in background that may interfere with the normal operation)

the third is the illegal request, no slot free to transfer ... this also looks like a config issue on the backup application or an error on the autoloader itself. Try first to remove all the tapes and run a test with just one.

Nikelodian

Thanks a lot, i will try that out!