1748054 Members
4972 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Reprogramming Firmware error

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Reprogramming Firmware error

When trying to upgrade the firmware for the tape backup, I get this error: " DLT SENSE DATA RETURNED (SK/ASC/ASCQ): 00/00/00 A FATAL ERROR OCCURED WHILE ATTEMPTING TO FLASH THE FIRMWARE." Any ideas on what the problem may be? Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

What controller/system is this drive attached to?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I also a have a similar problem with a tape drive. When trying to upgrade the device using TMSC v1.2 to D7CPQ1.V97 the error message reads "Sense Key: ILLEGAL REQUEST ASC: 0x24 ASCQ: 0x8e". This is a Proliant 1600 server (PL1600R 6/450 512 64 UK) that I use to update all our drives, and have updated some 8-10 drives in it before. The controller is on the onboard Compaq Wide-Ultra SCSI controller. All devices and drivers show green in Insight Manager using the 19/12/2000 release of the version control database.

The drive information from Insight Manager (v4.90) is

Device Type: Tape
Vendor: COMPAQ
Model: 35/70 GB
Firmware Rev: 245F
Negotiated Speed: 10 MTS

SCSI Bus
Parity Errors: 0
Phase Errors: 0
Select Timeouts: 0
Message Rejects: 0
Physical Width: 16 bits (Wide)
Negotiated Width: 16 bits

This also appears on a different box in Insight Manager to a normal Compaq 35/70 drive. Normally I would see sections for `Error Counts`, `SCSI Bus`, and `Maintenance`, as well as the information at the top, but on this drive I only see a `SCSI Bus` section. The drive is listed as a `COMPAQ 35/75 GB` in TSMC instead of `COMPAQ 35/75GB DLT DRV` as normal.

I have a feeling this is a very early Compaq 35/70 DLT. Any ideas on how I can update this to v97? As currently I cannot group this drive with any other using Arcserve 2000, although the drive works fine!
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

When this happened to me, I ejected the tape that was in it and it worked OK after that.
Hope it helps
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks for your reply mickyspence, but the drive was empty when this errors occurs.