StoreEver Tape Storage
1752803 Members
5591 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SAP/Oracle bu error - Proliant ML570, Win2K

Pieter Oosthuizen_1

SAP/Oracle bu error - Proliant ML570, Win2K

For my 40/80-GB DLT Drive, When doing SAP/Oracle backups, all o/s files backup fine on the SAME run, but as soon as the first Oracle datafile backup is started, the following error occures:

BR315I 'Alter tablespace PSAPBTABD begin backup' successful BR202I Saving D:\ORACLE\PC1\SAPDATA1\BTABD_1\BTABD.DATA1
BR203I to /dev/nmt0
BR278E Command output of 'dd bs=32k conv=sync if=D:\ORACLE\PC1\SAPDATA1\BTABD_1\BTABD.DATA1 of=/dev/nmt0':
dd: opening `/dev/nmt0': No such file or directory
ASPI, driver, drive etc have been checed...
Any ideas will be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: SAP/Oracle bu error - Proliant ML570, Win2K

Hello Pieter,
I do not know Oracle but looking to dd sting you provided it looks like you have Linux installed because dd is not a standard command of w2k. Maybe you need to stop Oracle database to do backup? Is this file BTABD.DATA1 readable when you're trying to back it up? And where is this device file /dev/nmt0? Should not be in w2k but in Linux... Maybe Oracle patches need to be insalled?
For me this issue looks like software related, not hardware. Anyway you can check your hardware with HP LTT from http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50128.html
Eugeny
Pieter Oosthuizen_1

Thank you - I am using the software you suggested to check a couple of things. SAP ships dd and CPIO when you install SAP om i386 platforms...

Rgds
PO
Donna Price
Occasional Advisor

SAP gets the device file name for the backups using the brbackup command from the init.sap file. If /dev/nmt0 is not the correct device file name for the tape drive you are writing to, check the tape_address variable in your init.sap file.
Alexander M. Ermes
Honored Contributor

Hi there.
Did you try the device /dev/mnt0 or so ?
Maybe you misplaced one or the other letter ?
In HP-UX it would be /dev/rmt/0m.
Pls check your device list.
Rgds
Alexander M. Ermes
.. and all these memories are going to vanish like tears in the rain! final words from Rutger Hauer in "Blade Runner"