1753776 Members
7213 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SATA vs SATA II

SATA vs SATA II

Hi all!
Is sata2 actually better in performance than sata1? What is the actual difference?
I mean SATA / IDE / SATA2 are the interface technology names. So it does not give me a clear picture...
4 REPLIES 4
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

Re: SATA vs SATA II

Hi Venkatesh,

With SATA-2 the data transfer speeds are almost double. But if u think u are getting a major price gain by buying SATA-1, then I would suggest u go for SATA-1.

A good read to understand the technology

http://www.anandtech.com/printarticle.aspx?i=2454

A lot of other things will also determine the performance of your storage subsystem, like cache, RAID levels etc.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
YAQUB_1
Respected Contributor

Hi Prasanna,

SATA / IDE / SATA2 are the interface technology names. The interface only handles the data from the disc to the motherboard. The slowest thing is the HD its a mechanical thing the best go at maybe 70mbyte/sec ie 560mbits/sec all well within ATA100 (100mbytes/sec) let alone ata133 or SATA150. It is a bit like having a huge water tank feeding a long thin pipe to your tap you get a trickle (like Big disk/big cache on USB1) and the mains feed on a 22mm pipe keeps up easily. The other extreme is having a pipe 20foot in diameter to an equally big tap when the tank empties in milliseconds and you have to wait for the tank to fill from the mains via a 22mm pipe (SATAxx). In both cases the water main feeds at the same basic rate no matter what.

Hope this has been of some help to you.

Thanks--Yaqub
HP Support!!!
PP BIJU KRISHNAN
Trusted Contributor

prasanna,

Assign some points yaar to the answers. if u liked the answers that is.

no compulsion though, but gentle reminder.

Yes, the link was a good read, thank you.

@Yaqub, that was a real eye opener, Thanks much!