108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI CABLES CONNECTED TO MSL 6030

SOLVED
Go to solution
Fred Valdivia
Occasional Contributor

SCSI CABLES CONNECTED TO MSL 6030

I have a MSL6030 connected with 2 drives, now, I have to remove one drive from the library. I know that the tape drives are hot swappable, my question is Do I have to power down the server to remove the SCSI cables that were connected to the drive that I am removing? or Can I remove them without shutting down the server? Any assistance would be appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SCSI CABLES CONNECTED TO MSL 6030

Fred,

Just power down the library and swap the tape drive. Power it on again and perform afterwards a hardware scan on the server to make sure it sees the two drives in the MSL library.

best regards,
Kurt
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
If no other devices is connected to the SCSI, it may be possible to disconnect/connect a cable without shutting down the server but, I don't belive it is recommended. The safest way is to shutdown.
KurtG
Regular Advisor

I usally;

- Stops backup software services
- Power down tapelibrary
- Do the needed library maintance
- Power on library
- Start backup software services

Somtimes I need to scan for new hardware, but usally the servers didn't notice that the hardware had been gone at all. However, if the reason for the maintance was bad hardware, you might get in the situation that a reeboot is needed anyway. Depending on what backup software youre using, reconfiguration might be needed.

KurtG
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

the MSL6030, until the new version have no cable connected directly to the drive, they are connected to the hotswap board that is under the drive shoes.
So, for these library you do not need to disconnect any scsi cable in order to remove the hotswap drive
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Fred

You need not shutdown the server for Tape Library maintenance. Drive and application associated with it should be shutdown. However you should take precaution when plugging SCSI cables to avoid SCSI bus hang.

Regards
Mahesh