StoreEver Tape Storage
1752623 Members
4270 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI Cables Connection and Termination on the Multi-Unit MSL5026SL Library Tape Drive

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

SCSI Cables Connection and Termination on the Multi-Unit MSL5026SL Library Tape Drive

Does anyone know how to properly connect and terminate all of the SCSI cables for the multi-unit MSL5026SL with dual drives for a tape library that connects to only one host system? The technical document shows how to properly connect and terminate a single unit MSL5026SLwith dual drives but nothing on the multi-unit. Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

JD
2 REPLIES 2
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: SCSI Cables Connection and Termination on the Multi-Unit MSL5026SL Library Tape Drive

I'm facing the same problem, although I'm using an MDR. Nowhere in the documentation can you find any examples on how to cable it. The question is really if the slave unit needs to be connected to the robotic arm SCSI-wise. I've connected the master unit (single SDLT) daisy-chained to the robotic controller as per the documentaiton with a terminator on the robotic controller.
The slave unit's tape drive (also single SDLT) I connected straight to the MDR and terminated on the tape drive. I can see both tape drives and one robot on the MDR, so everything looks good, but I haven't gotten as far as connecting any hosts to the MDR. I'll keep you posted.
/charles. charles.morrall@benzler.se
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: SCSI Cables Connection and Termination on the Multi-Unit MSL5026SL Library Tape Drive

I got this from Compaq Support:

- On a given SCSI bus there can be no more than 1 robot and 2 tape drives

- When stacking 2 MSL5026, only the robot of the Master library will be cabled

- It is advised to put on a 1st SCSI bus the Robot & Drives of the Master Library, and on the 2nd SCSI bus the Drives of the Slave library

- The libraries will then need to be connected together to the network hub that comes with the Pass Through Mecanism. The communication between both libraries is done by network.

The master library must be cabled in a dual drive single host the following way :

From the SCSI controller (or MDR) channel 1 to the bottom left of the 4 connectors in the middle of the library

From the upper left of the 4 connectors to the upper right of the 4 connectors

From the bottom right of the 4 connector to the bottom one of the the connectors on the right

Terminator on the upper connector on the right

The slave library must be cable in a dual drive, no robot, single host way :

From the SCSI controller (or MDR) channel 2 to the bottom left of the 4 connectors in the middle of the library

From the upper left of the 4 connectors to the upper right of the 4 connectors

Terminator on the bottom right of the 4 connector