New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI ID.. plz HELP!

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mary Ann P. Salarda
Occasional Contributor

SCSI ID.. plz HELP!

hello everyone!!!

Is it possible that i can assign two unique SCSI ID for one device? And Can one device supports two SCSI ID's?

thanks in advance.
mayen

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp Forum Moderator

3 REPLIES 3
Mike Naime
Honored Contributor

Normally no. Each device has a unique ID on the SCSI bus. Most manufacturers made devices to only have one ID. This was set with Jumpers, or dip switches on the earlier SCSI devices. Today, depending on the device, you might have a rotary wheel, or a logical setting (Like on a tape library).

One Device, One ID. That was the design specs.

Now, at the system level (Depending on the OS) it might be possible to define one device to logically appear as another physical device in order to fool some old hard-coded applications.
VMS SAN mechanic
Joshua Scott
Honored Contributor
Solution

I guess it would be theoretically possible, if a device were designed that way. I know that some tape autoloaders have 2 separate SCSI IDs, one for the drive, and one for the autoloader functions. I don't see any reason for this, however. the specifications of SCSI are 1 device to one ID.
What are the chances...
Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

Normally the manufacturer would use multiple LUN's to make a device appear as several devices. I know of no way to add or remove support for multiple ID's or LUN's, however.