108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCSI Interface Description for Ultrium 460

SOLVED
Go to solution
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

SCSI Interface Description for Ultrium 460

Where can I find the elusive volume 3 of the Ultrium 2 technical reference? Many thanks for any help!
17 REPLIES 17
Rich P
Occasional Advisor

Hi Steven,

These documents are not usually distributed to the general public. Can you tell me why you require it? If you have a specific issue then I may be able to help.

Regards,

Rich Prout
Test Engineer
Hewlett Packard Ltd
Filton Road
Stoke Gifford
Bristol BS34 8QZ
richard.prout@hp.com
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

I have a version of tar that generates a tape index for fast recovery of individual files. It's worked for over 15 years on just about any tape drive you can think of. However, on the Ultrium 2 I'm getting an illegal command sense error on every ioctl() call to retrieve the block location. There's clearly something different about its operation and without the SCSI command spec there's no way to fix things. As further information, the 'mt tell' command also returns an error (essentially the same thing, I believe). Is the drive incapable of reporting current block location and/or seeking directly to specific block?

(Just curious: Why is the command set such a secret? For over 20 years I've been able to get SCSI command docs for the asking.)

If it's truly not possible to obtain, can you give me some assistance in figuring out the correct command structure for this one operation? FWIW, basic read and write function is fine, so I don't have any basic interfacing issues.
Rich P
Occasional Advisor

I am looking into getting you a copy of volume 3
Rich P
Occasional Advisor
Solution

I have the document, can you let me know your email address?
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

I'm sending my e-mail address directly to your e-mail account for sanity and security.

Your help is appreciated and I have another question. This unit reports firmware version F59W/OEM20. When I run the firmware updater, it's trying to flash F62-something, but eventually fails with a non-informative error. Should I be able to update this unit? If so, what's the magic incantation?
Rich P
Occasional Advisor

can you tell me the other numbers associated with your firmware? They should be displayed something like xxx.xxx and should be reported after F49W
Rich P
Occasional Advisor

Sorry that should have been F59W
Steven Hirsch
Advisor

When I run hp_ltt under Linux, all I get is:

F59W/OEM20

no other numbers appear. Is there a different way to read this?
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That drive is an HP tape library drive. No other numbers are published for the firmware in automation drives but for Rich's reference the HP internal firmware build number is 007.646.

The newest published firmware is F68W (009.554) and only FxxW firmware versions will download. L&TT creates a file called "EventLog.ltd" that should have additional information about the failure if you have download problems.