1751959 Members
4937 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCSI recognition

Keith Foradori

SCSI recognition

SCSI tape devices are recognized only when both devices and server are completely powered down and backup.

I am working with HP 2/40 Ultrium, dual Adaptec 29160 SCSI cards, and a Compaq DL380 server. Same results with Compaq 1850 server. A warm or cold reboot will recognize Tape library or drives unless the tape device has been powered down and back up.
2 REPLIES 2
Roger Faucher
Honored Contributor

Re: SCSI recognition

Hello Keith:

Are you confident everything is installed per the following web page:
http://www.hp.com/cgi-bin/cposupport/get_doc.pl?SNI=hpsurestor18482&LC=information_storage&Tfile=lpg50509

I'm not real clear on what your problem is. If you are dropping power to the tapes and turning them back on and losing access to them, I think that's normal. From the above web page it is pretty clear that the tape subsystem must be completely powered up before you power up the host. If you do that, do the tapes work? What OS are you running? Are the Adaptec SCSI Host Adapters set up properly?
Make a great day!

Roger
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: SCSI recognition

hello Keith,

Interesting. I believe the Adaptec cards have an option to reset the bus when they initialize, make sure that this is enabled.

Also, does the controller allow you to lower the transfer rate per SCSI id individually ? If yes, you might want to try to lower this and see if this resolves the issue.

I am not familiar with the U160 cards but I know they have something called domain validation where the card tests the transfers to the individual SCSI devices detected. If it does not detect the drives after a warm boot, (unless powercycled of course) it might mean that the drives are in a state where they do not respond to the SCSI bus anymore.

In that case, I would verify that the drives have the latest firmware version on them (E12V) and subsequently call HP service.

Hope this help,

-Cal.