1752401 Members
5514 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SCTL_INCOMPLETE error message from a scsi command on hpux

fengliang hu
Occasional Contributor

SCTL_INCOMPLETE error message from a scsi command on hpux

The configuration is that the HPUX11.11 host is connected to a QLogic 16port Switch. The switch connects to a HP FC 2/1 LVD bridge, which has 2 tape libraries behind.

The standard inquiry to the bridge, which has the device file /dev/rscsi/c44t0d0, completes quickly and succeeds. However, if I send a virtual SCSI inquiry command, which has the op code of D1, the status of 1024, which is SCTL_INCOMPLETE is always returned.

I tried to set the timeout for the SCSI command to 5 minutes instead of 3 seconds. Unfortunately I got the same error status.

Any ideas/comments will be appreciated!
3 REPLIES 3
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

Re: SCTL_INCOMPLETE error message from a scsi command on hpux

What are you trying to accomplish? If ioscan -kfnCtape shows the tape drives and ioscan -kfnCautoch shows the robotics, then just run mc -p to query the robotics and diskinfo -v to query the drives (after using mc to load tapes into the drives and waiting for the drives to spool up).
fengliang hu
Occasional Contributor

This is a part of the programming efforts to query the bridge and the drives.

We can send SCSI queries to the bridge and the tape drives. The tape drives can be found with command ioscan -fn. However, if we send a virtual SCSI query command to the bridge and then the bridge does not respond. If the bridge connects with a Windows host, then it responds to such a special SCSI command.

Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

On SCTL_INCOMPLETE you can look on the dmesg output and usually can see the reason.

Basically the SCSI command did not complete due to a number of possible reasons, such as command timeout, bus reset occured, etc.