StoreEver Tape Storage
1748018 Members
3580 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SCTL_INCOMPLETE

Charles Parsons

SCTL_INCOMPLETE

I am trying to access a tape library and drives on HPUX 11. The devices are all fibre channel devices and are being accessed via HP's SCSI pass-through driver. This configuration works on other OSs, but on HPUX I get SCTL_INCOMPLETE messages with no additional sense info.
Short SCSI commands appear to work, but commands moving data produce the error. There are no other SCSI err messages.
What is SCTL_INCOMPLETE telling me, and how do I go about troubleshooting it?
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,

Please advise your hardware setup. What type
of tape library unit is it? You say that it
is via fibre-channel, but is it connected
direct or through a switch. Are you running
Omniback or some other backup software?

Rgds
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Charles Parsons

Software: Amass from ADIC.
Library: STK 9738 (SCSI)
Drive1: STK 9840 (SCSI)
Drive2&3: STK 9840 (Fibre)
The library and drive 1 are connected to a Fibre to SCSI bridge. The bridge and drives 2&3 are connected to a switch, which is connected to my HP.
I have the same problem on all three drives.
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

Hi Charles,

Sounds like the configuration to your
bridge may not be in sync with the
switch. Can you verify that the bridge
and the switch are set up as 'arbitrated-loop'?

Regards
Michael
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Charles Parsons

The switch recognizes the brige in both hard and soft AL mode. HPUX can see the devices (via ioscan -fn ) in practically any mode I configure.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

SCTL_INCOMPLETE states that the SCSI command never completed execution. No sense data are returned, since sense data are only retrieved in response to a check condition, which assumes command completion with the status 'CHECK CONDITION'.

Check your timeout values. In particular since you stated that short commands work, but not long commands, I suspect that the timeout values that you specify in the scsi_io structure are too short and may work on a direct attach setup but not on a busy SAN.
Charles Parsons

Timouts are on the order of 30sec. The network is not very busy...It is only used for SW development.
I also see the problem if I switch to a library with optical drives.
Charles Parsons

Using the debugger, I have verified that the CDB and the sctl_io structure are properly filled in. In one experiment, I changed the timeout to 8 hours...still got SCTL_INCOMPLETE.
Two or three retries usually results in success.