1752284 Members
5081 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SDLT 320 server won't post

Digex
Regular Advisor

SDLT 320 server won't post

We recently recieve another HP SDLT320 to replace our HP 110/220 Tape drive we had on a HP DL380 G3. It tries to detec the drive on bootup but hangs. I have to shutdown the machine and turn off the tape drive to get it to boot. Any ideas what is causing this? It cant be a driver issue since it does not even let the machine post. We have a LSI Adapter, Ultra320 2000 series card with driver 1.21.8.0 and Windows 2003 SP2. I was thinking of running the newest Support Pack 7.90A but that should not fix my post problem. This was working fine on the HP 110/220 for 3 years no issue until the tape drive failed. The drive is out for repair but I need to sustain my backups until then.

Any ideas on what I should try?( New cable, new card?)
4 REPLIES 4
EdgarZamora_1
Respected Contributor

Did you check to see that you don't have a SCSI ID conflict?
Digex
Regular Advisor

I was thinking that but how do I set the SCSI id when Im using the 2 bay rouckmount enclosure? We dont use the External tape drive chasis that have the SCSI ID tab on the back.
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

Hi Digex you can try a driver upgrade on your HBA also you want to make sure there is no other device attached to the same bus as well as the SCSI ID of the tape drive, should be ID 3. If you are using an internal drive make suere the cable has a terminator at the end try checking the cable for bent pins also just for testing purpuses you can try to attached thie tape drive to a Smart arrray so we can make sure the HBA is the problem.

here is the link for the driver
http://tinyurl.com/2jl6ev
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Digex
Regular Advisor

Tried the local LVD connection and the server posted fine and backedup fine. I suppose I will have to flash the firmware on the LSI adapter or swap it for Adaptec. Thanks for all your help. Wish I could assign you more points now Pablo but cant. Thanks all for help.