StoreEver Tape Storage
1751790 Members
4766 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SDLT Tape Failures

Corey Parker

SDLT Tape Failures

We are seeing a high number of tape failures when backing up to an SDLT 160/320 using Backup Exec 9.1 on Netware 6.0. Imation tapes have been successful, however a large number of Fuji tapes have failed repeatedly, and with a new batch of Quantum tapes our backups have failed with the first 2 tapes we have tried.
In all cases we are using tapes straight from the shrink wrap, so it is not an old tape issue.
Anyone else seeing a high number of tape failures or have any ideas?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Drive firmware?
Is Backup Exec patched?
Are you operating thru a SAN or SCSI?

If you have time it could be a good test to install LTT and check some piece of media of different vendors and compare results.

www.hp.com/support/tapetools

HTH
Claudio
Corey Parker

Tape drive has the latest firmware and Backup Exec has the latest patches applied. We have gone through 3 different SDLT drives as well as 2 SCSI controllers, 1 system board, 2 versions of Backup Exec and update of all drivers so far to date.
I will run L&TT when I get a chance.

Thanks
Corey Parker

Also, it is direct attached SCSI - stand alone tape drive.
Michael Mule

Yes, we have a MSL5026SL library with upgraded 160/320 drives (all the latest firmware) and we are seeing very similar issues with Fuji and other new tapes. We are running BE9.1 on Windows 2000. And it only seems to happen on one of the drives. Works fine with old tapes. I am very interested if someone has an answer. I think this is a hidden issue with SDLT in general.