StoreEver Tape Storage
1748062 Members
5453 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SSL1016 Autoload Not Recognized

Richard Loesch

SSL1016 Autoload Not Recognized

I'm looking for some assistance with a SSL1016 320/160 attached to a DL380 running Windows 2003 via a Smart Array 6i card. I've installed Backup Exec and it sees the drive fine but it won't recognize the autoloader.

The server was built by someone else and they have the tape library attached to the same 6i card as the disk drives. This doesn't seem correct to me. Should I have second SCSI card for the library? Do I need multiple LUN support to see the autoloader?

Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Kurt Beyers.
Honored Contributor

Richard,

It is always a good idea to use a dedicated SCSI controller for a library instead of using the built-in Smart Array 6i card (it is for disks).

Do you see the medium changer in the Windows device manager? If the OS can't see it, backup exec won't see it either.

best regards,
Kurt
Richard Loesch

Thanks for the reply Kurt

In answer to your question the OS does not see the media changer. That's what started me thinking about the SCSI card.
Scott McIntosh_2
Honored Contributor

Make sure the SSL is running in Random mode, which is the default.

Also, the robotics will be LUN 1 and the drive LUN 0, so your HBA has to be configured to look at non-zero LUNs.
Mahesh Kumar Malik
Honored Contributor

Hi Richard

It is not recommended to share disk SCSI channel with Tape because of different IO bandwidth and throughput. You should go for a dedicated SCSI card for Tape drive. If autoloder (media changer) is still not seen, download and refresh its driver.

Regards
Mahesh