1748171 Members
4183 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SSL2020 AIT Drive Upgrade To 4.16 Firmware Drive Missing

Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

SSL2020 AIT Drive Upgrade To 4.16 Firmware Drive Missing

Upgraded a SSL2020 Library unit to V4.16 of firmware and now the drive is not being seen.

Any ideas?
7 REPLIES 7
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Re: SSL2020 AIT Drive Upgrade To 4.16 Firmware Drive Missing

Seen from what OS? Try reloading the tape drivers if it's Unix, or ... rebooting if it's Windows (is there another way?). Make sure the drive is rebooted as well - it may have got hung during its own reboot after the upgrade.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

The SSL2020 library unit itself sees no attached drives! I have attempted to downgrade the firmware using an old copy of Tsmc, but this fails. I have now contacted HP so I can hopefully enter a password to enable me to downgrade the firmware using HP L&TT software.
Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

Just got the password for downgrading the firmware and still no joy. Downgraded to v4.05 and also v4.09 without any success.
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Can you attach the drive directly to your server, bypassing the library? Might be a way to downgrade the firmware that way.

My guess is that this is buggy firmware. This may come down to getiting the vendor out to sort out the problem they created if you can't fix it. Alternatively, they may be able to fix the current firmware once they're aware of the problem you're having. Get this info to the guys who wrote the firmware as soon as you can, with serial numbers, drive types, every bit of information you can find from that library.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Chris Stevens_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi,

Just connected the drive straight to a scsi card and all i get is devices listed as sony boot-rom. This is a screen shot.

Tape 'SONY BOOT-ROM' at Address '0.6.0'
Tape 'SONY BOOT-ROM' at Address '0.6.1'Tape 'SONY BOOT-ROM' at Address '0.6.2'

In all there are about 8 entries. When powering up the drive all lights are on and stay on. I guess it's knackered?
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Looks that way. This one will have to go back to the guys that write the firmware, and it's probable that the drive will have to be replaced.

Did you notice any problems during the upgrade? Was there possibly a power cycle on the drive before the upgrade was finished? All I can think of, really.
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Chris,

What tool were you using to update the firmware the first time?

Did it complete successfuly, or did it error out, or was it interrupted?

Typically a device will report "boot rom" when the main firmware image is either incomplete or corrupted (e.g. checksum is wrong).

When you tried LTT with a password to downgrade, were you using the "manual product selection" to get LTT to recognize the device? If so, which "diagnostic" did you select (e.g. AIT drive, AIT library, AIT autoloader)?
The journey IS the reward.