1752577 Members
5498 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Slooooooooooooow compaq AIT 3 ait3

Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

Slooooooooooooow compaq AIT 3 ait3

my drive will do no better than 3Mb/sec.
I ran the L&TT to get this info. Because it has compaq firmware, is it absolutely not going to run on any other brand computer?

I am open to any ideas because i have tried just about everything i can think of. Or maybe i bought a busted drive???
I think 1 solution is to replace the board of the tape drive. Does anyone know of a company that sells internal components for an ait3??
TIA.
4 REPLIES 4
Tina Karasch
Valued Contributor

Re: Slooooooooooooow compaq AIT 3 ait3

it should not be an issue to run the unit on computers other than compaq as long as you connect it to the right kind of HBA. (u2/u3 depending on which drv you have).

On this page you can find the info what kind of speed to expect from your ait drive. http://h18006.www1.hp.com/storage/tapedrivematrix.html

Maybe you should check if the computer you have it connected to supplies enough data for the drive to stream properly, by using this little utillity that measures if the system supplies the data quick enough. Use the full (file to file bu)test and also the sequential (image) test options to compare for poss speed issues due to small files and fragmentation.
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_US&prodNum=C5725A&seriesId=42869тМй=English+%28American%29&basePartNum=co557&locBasepartNum=co557en&prodName=Performance+Assessment+Tool&os=Microsoft+Windows+2000&tech=Softwa

and maybe read some of info on this url:
http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50460.html

if the issue is not data being given to the drive too slow ...... it is not poss to get internal parts for your drv but if your drv shows to be defect and is in warranty - you shoud be able to exchange it after talking to the hw support people.
If U want to; let's get technical.... :P
Stuart Whitby
Trusted Contributor

Compaq firmware on a drive will make no difference to what kind of computers it talks to. It's still talking SCSI, and any system with the appropriate type of SCSI controller (SCSI, SCSI SE, FW, LVD, HVD or whatever) and underspec'd cable lengths should talk to it without any problems. While on the subject of cables, that's probably the first thing to check. Get a new short, shielded cable and see what kind of improvement that makes. Check the termination on your drive and SCSI card as well.

Generate a 10GB file and dd it to the drive using a variety of different blocksizes and check the MB/sec that you're getting under each of these. Then go generate a million 1kb files (with maybe 10,000 per directory) and see how long it takes to back those up using different blocksizes. Then take a look at the data you're backing up and figure out what's the most appropriate.
A sysadmin should never cross his fingers in the hope commands will work. Makes for a lot of mistakes while typing.
Steve Heck_1
Advisor

If you have a Adaptec HBA (29160 39160 ect) on Win2K or XP Pro you might be in A-Sync (known Adaptec issue). Make sure to load Adaptec SP5 drivers.
Joe_138
Occasional Contributor

i did install that fix with still no luck.