1753621 Members
5780 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slot move utility

Miika T
Valued Contributor

Slot move utility

I was wondering is there any command line utility, which I could use with MSL2024 to move tapes from slot-to-slot? The problem is that I want to use Mailslot feature and the only way to use this with Backup exec 10, is to use import/export command. This works fine, but it requires user intervention on backup exec console. What I would like to achive is to move the tape to and from mailslot to a certain slot using task scheduler etc as automated as possible.

-Miika
7 REPLIES 7
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor

Hi,

What is your OS version?
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Windows server 2003 std.

-Miika
pete krohn
Occasional Advisor

Not command line, but GUI is Dantz Retrospect 5.1 (old ver). provides drag/move for all media/slots within a recognized device. they support nearly every produced backup device ever manufactured. new versions are more extensive with features.

it shows a tree style gui with each media label (if bar code reader is installed) and drive name of device, mailslots, cleaning slots, etc. it works across nets and local systems (with the proper licenses of course!)

if any there was an easy to use ware, this was the one we chose!

& there is some c coded ware (you need to compile for specific use) on the web that does bare bones tape commands and library shoves and moves. that could be used locally for command line moves.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Your library should have a web-based management like other MSL boxes. This enables you to move cartridges around amongst other things.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Miika T
Valued Contributor

The MSL2024 web interface can move the tape from slot to slot, but I want to make an unttended task for this job. So someone can just come and replace the tape in mailslot, and then move the tape to a desired location.

-Miika
otto warlich
Regular Advisor

Hello Miika,

With Data Protector there is a perl possibility. Maybe BE supports this also,

With regards,

Otto
Miika T
Valued Contributor

Otto,

do you know the name of the utlity, so I could check it out from one of the Data protector installatinos?

-Miika