StoreEver Tape Storage
1753797 Members
8390 Online
108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Slow Restore Speed For Backup Created from Sony SDT-9000 (DDS3) to HP SureStore DAT24 (DDS3)

liew chee wah_2

Slow Restore Speed For Backup Created from Sony SDT-9000 (DDS3) to HP SureStore DAT24 (DDS3)

We encounter slow restoration speed when we want to restore tape content created from a SCO Openserver that uses Sony SDT-9000 to another SCO Openserver that uses Hp SureStore DAT24.

However such incident (slowness) is not happen if we restore the tape content created from a SureStore DAT24 to server using SDT-9000

I understand both SDT-9000 and SureStore DAT24 should be DDS3 compatible.

Is this a known problem and is there any way for us to overcome it ?
3 REPLIES 3
Steve W
Trusted Contributor

Re: Slow Restore Speed For Backup Created from Sony SDT-9000 (DDS3) to HP SureStore DAT24 (DDS3)

It's probably slow because the DAT24 is having trouble reading what the Sony wrote and is doing many read retries. Either the Sony drive is out of mechanical alignment or the DAT24 is. If both drives are working normally, they should read each others tapes with no problems, as they both adhere to ECMA DDS standards.
Volker Borowski
Honored Contributor

I suspect you use Berkly devicefiles on one server and AT&T on the other one.

Since the Syncs are written diffrently with those drivers, on one box you miss the syncmarks upon read, and the tape has to rewind and re-read the sync before it continues.

Just an idea.
Volker
Huzzir Zakaria

Hi Liew,

I just wonder, I'm having the same problem with HPC1538A tape drive. Has you solved your problem yet?. If yes, would you like to share the solution with me?...

I would be glad if you could contact me here in Johor Bahru (07-3863161)...

Thank you
zhuzzir@hotmail.com