StoreEver Tape Storage
1753862 Members
7444 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Slow thruput with TL891 / Arcserve2000SP2?

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Slow thruput with TL891 / Arcserve2000SP2?

Hi, just changed from 3 x Compaq external DLT7000 drives to TL891 2 drive library. Whereas we were achieving 223Mb/min using the drives, we're now only getting 76Mb/min average thruput. Tried upgrading Arcserve AE + library option from 6.61SP2 AE to 2000SP2 (CA claim better memory allocation with AS2000), but things still trudge along, which leads me to believe it's not the backup software.

OS is NT4SP5, server is PL5500 w/512Mb, 2xP3Xeon with plenty of disk space. SSD drivers for all controllers are up to date: from Smartstart ver 4.80 CD.
Is there anything else I can try?
Thanks
4 REPLIES 4
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: Slow thruput with TL891 / Arcserve2000SP2?

Hello there,

Maybe I might be able to help.

I had a very similar problem when I upgraded to AS2000 from 6.61. Do you have Virus scanning on this server? If so is it NAI Netshield 4.5? Look at the properties to see if under files to scan that "selected files and for known Marco viruses in all files" is selected. If it is change it to "selected file types only". (Make sure all the file types you need are in the list)

My speed when from over 300Mb/min to 79MB/min. Also the registry was taking over 2 hours to backup. When I changed the selection it went to 3 minutes.

I hope this can help.

Thanks,
Jason LaFrance
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks Jason,
We do have Netshield 4.5 on that server. I'll try it with the different options & post the result.

Cheers
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Thanks, Jason! That worked. My thruput is now is to 335Mb/min & my backups now run in a few hours, rather than into the next afternoon. My manager is off my back & our Helpdesk folks are much happier....!
Karl
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Currently, support for Digital Alpha and higher-end Storageworks products is not on this forum. If you are in the US or Canada, call 1-800-354-9000. If you are elsewhere, please contact our nearest offices for support information or check any service contracts you may have for the product in question.