4824 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Software for Backup

Yiannis Valkaniotis
Occasional Contributor

Software for Backup

Hi all.
I have a Ultrium 960 drive. Its connected with a SCSI320 to a pc and the pc is connected to a local network without servers and stuff.
What i need is a software that will be able to backup localy and via network, and to be able to show me the compression rates avaliable for backing up. Even better if it could show the remaining space in tape!
Am i asking for so many???

Thanx in advance!
7 REPLIES 7
Rasheed Tamton
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You have not mentioned which OS you are running at your env.

Anyway, just check the below link though I have not used it.

http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-1035_11-5034578.html

Also try amanda

http://sourceforge.net/projects/amanda/

Regards,
Rasheed Tamton.

Yiannis Valkaniotis
Occasional Contributor

Well, u are right. I use Windows XP pro.
I downloaded the NTI backup NOW but it does not backup in Tape. Only in CD-DVDs.
The other one, Amanda is not for windows right? couldnt find a version for XP.

Any other ideas?

Thanx!
Sandy_hp
Occasional Advisor

Hi Yiannis,

There is an Inbuilt Windows Backup utility called NTBACKUP.

this can be be used for backing files.You can also choose to customize the backup policy..whether normal,incremental,decremental ,copy...

It has good reliability in backing and restoring data...

Regards,

Sandy_hp
Yiannis Valkaniotis
Occasional Contributor

Well, u are correct Sandy. It is a good solution but it does not support compression rates nor it says the remaining space in tape.

I am starting to believe that i ask for too much...

Thanx.
Rasheed Tamton
Honored Contributor

Amanda is the most popular Backup and Archiving software that protects multiple machines running various versions of Linux, UNIX and Microsoft Windows operating systems. It supports tapes, disks, optical media and changers.

Regards,
Rasheed Tamton.
Yiannis Valkaniotis
Occasional Contributor

I agree with u Rasheed Tamton, BUT i am running Windows and i wasnt able to find Amanda for Windows. Of what i read it only runs under Unix\Linux. It supports Windows only for Backing Up.
Heshmat
Advisor

Aparently the Amanda version for windows is only the client not the actual Windows server version.
There are many versions that will allow you to do this, Data Protector and Data Protector Express are from HP but you can see the compatibility matrix here and decide for yourself when it comes to the features you want.
I selected the following combination as it is what you have.
Tape drive: HP StorageWorks Ultrium 960
Operating system: Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP2

And here is the link, you can find a complete list of back up applications there.

http://www.hp.com/products1/storage/compatibility/tapebackup/software/Detail/17-0024-0024.html