StoreEver Tape Storage
1748148 Members
3718 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: Speed Sale as Super DLT and Ultrim 1840

Rajeev Kolliyot

Speed Sale as Super DLT and Ultrim 1840

I Changed my tape drive from Super DLT to Ultrim 1840 in Hp-Unix B11.23 . Creared new device by itself and shows in ioscan. Backup time is same as the time in taken for Super DLT tape Drive. Is there any configuration done to HP-Unix files.
Thanks
3 REPLIES 3
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Your backup could be source data limited in which case it wouldn't matter which technology you use. I doubt it's driver related.

You can verify this by running the performance tests of LTT (http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools). Run the device performance test to see what you can get our of the tape drive and the system performance backup performance test to see how fast your server can access the data being backed up. The latter is most often the bottleneck.

Fixing that requires significant effort on disks and infrastructure usually. Tape drives are very fast these days - they are not usually the bottleneck.

Good luck.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Is the tape drive installed in a library ?

Some versions of the MSL5000 and MSL6000 libraries are limited with regards to how fast they will run:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00598538〈=en&cc=us&taskId=101&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169

Cheers,

Rob
Ralf Loehmann_2
Valued Contributor

Hello Rajeev,

you might check here: www.hp.com/support/pat

Use the link to the performance troubleshooting flow to check where the bottlenecks are. I also do not know what tool you use to backup your data, but the use of a backup application will also improve performance. If you use commands under HP-UX you might check into fbackup, which is able to write multiple streams to a drive, but that is only improving performance if the disk system has the bandwidth for it, see troubleshooting flow.

Hope this helps,
Ralf.