StoreEver Tape Storage
1751900 Members
4978 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: StorageWorks DAT 72 USB Cleaning

JockeC

StorageWorks DAT 72 USB Cleaning

I have a DAT 72 USB internal tape drive. The backup software says that I need to clean it and I probably need to. I havn't done any cleaning since I installed it. However, I'm not sure how to do it. According to the tape drive user's guide I should just insert a cleaning tape and then the cleaning should proceed automatically. When I do this, the tape is ejected within approx 15 seconds. I tried it three times but the software still says I should clean it. Either it needs more cleaning or nothing really happened. I tend to think the latter.

Grateful for tips (I'm using a windows server 2003)
4 REPLIES 4
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

You should clean a DAT drive every 24h of tape motion. Cleaning is a warning that its hard to get rid off, it goes away by itself.
How old is your cleaning cartridge ?

here is a link about cleaning
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c00065867

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
JockeC

It is about two years old and I've seriously neglected cleaning. I have used the tape three times. I try to find out if the cleaning I do now makes any difference. Doesn't take more than 15-30 seconds to clean the drive. Isn't it more to it than just inserting the cleaning tape ?

rgs, Joakim
TapeDrive Killer
Trusted Contributor

15s its to fast maybe the cleaning cartridge is expired.

Pablo Alvarado Siles
One drink away from sleeping on the pavement
Rob Leadbeater
Honored Contributor

Hi,

> Isn't it more to it than just inserting
> the cleaning tape ?

No. Inserting a good cleaning tape should just work.

Have you tried power cycling the tape drive to see if the error goes away ?

Cheers,

Rob