108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

StorageWorks SDLT320 off-line

SOLVED
Go to solution
Lucy Franco
Occasional Contributor

StorageWorks SDLT320 off-line

My storageWorks SDLT320 suddenly changes its state to off-line and I can't do any backup. I have to restart the computer to put it on-line again.
Does someone know what could be happening and how can I solve this problem?
4 REPLIES 4
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor
Solution

Re: StorageWorks SDLT320 off-line

Most common issue for a tape drive going offline is communication issues.

Where is the drive 'going offline'? Is it in Windows Device Manger, or is it in software? If software, what backup software are you using?

Here are some suggestions for correcting an offline issue:

The driver processes for tape hardware differ depending on the requirements and guidelines of the backup software. We do not recommend using a generic HP or Microsoft driver for the autoloader in most cases. We suggest verifying with your backup software manufacturer if they provide drivers for their software. Please also note that the SCSI card the tape drive is connected with should also have the appropriate driver... HP or Microsoft drivers should be avoided in all cases for a SCSI card. If it is an LSI card, the driver properties of the device should read "Provider: LSI logic". If the Card is an Adaptec card, the driver properties of the device should read "Provider: Adaptec", and so on.

There could be many causes for the SDLT going offline in the backup software. Generally an offline issue is related to drivers, but occasionally is caused by other factors like the SDLT drive being power cycled or a service interrupting the communication with the software.

Most commonly the interruption scenario is caused by a Microsoft service called Removable Storage Manager (RSM). We are including some documentation below which should help address RSM problems.

HP Storageworks Tape Backup ├в Resolving Issues Caused by RSM
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&objectID=c00023443&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN

Additionally if you have Windows 2003 there is a conflict with RSM if third party backup software (that use services) is installed. This issue can be permanently resolved by using the following document to do a registry edit on the RSM service. Again, this is only needed if your are NOT using Windows backups (Native Backup/NTbackup).

Windows Server 2003 cannot perform backup jobs to tape devices
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/842411

Offline communication issues can also be caused if the SDLT drive is not terminated correctly, has faulty cabling or is using an incorrect controller like a RAID controller.

For info on why RAID controllers do not work with tape drives visit following link:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/191488.htm
Lucy Franco
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I will follow your suggestions.
I'm using Windows 2000 Advanced Server and Veritas Backup Exec.
Lucy Franco
Occasional Contributor

I'm being using this StorageWorks (with the same Veritas Backup Exec software and in the same computer with Windows 2000) for two years without any problem, but this problem started two month ago.
I will appreciate any help.
Jaclyn Rothe
Trusted Contributor

Even though it has worked for X amount of time before... it's having an issue now.

I always start out a problem like this by reloading drivers. BUE is notorious for corrupted drivers causing communication issues.

Drivers get corrupted in Windows all the time, and a simple reload or DL and install of the latest drivers fixes many issues.

I would start there before going any further.