1753939 Members
9360 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Storageworks 1280 DLT1 and NTBackup

Paul Kissick
Occasional Contributor

Storageworks 1280 DLT1 and NTBackup

Is anyone else running a StorageWorks 1280 DLT1 Autoloader with NTBackup. If so, what firmware versions are you successfully running?
I've updated to the most recent firmware versions, V.63 for drive, V.40 for the loader, and NTBackup will only backup. Whenever I try a restore (verification purposes), it proceeds to mount the tape, but then announces 'Cannot detect the selected backup device' yet it's managed to successfully mount the required tape. This also happens when a backup through the UI is performed, yet not when scheduled. Any ideas why?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Storageworks 1280 DLT1 and NTBackup

hi,
I'm not sure, but if you use a 1280 with NTbackup, he will run in "Stacker mode" that means that when you backup data, as soon as the first tape is full, he will load the second one, and so on.
Now, as NTBackup is not able to manage a library in "random mode", he is not able lo mount the tape he need, because he cannot issue a command like "load tape n2" by itself.
I think you will have to load and mount the right tape by hand from the front panel and in Removable Storage Manager

marino
Paul Kissick
Occasional Contributor

Re: Storageworks 1280 DLT1 and NTBackup

Whilst you are correct, I failed to mention that once upon a time, I managed to get this working correctly. And I requested the correct tapes from 'removable storage manager' in windows. So this is possible, but my problem now appears to have occured with a firmware update.

Has anyone else noticed this problem before? As mentioned, the backups are fine. It's the restoring that's not working.