StoreEver Tape Storage
1751945 Members
4770 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Storageworks ultrium 1840 tape drive not performing well. HELP!

SOLVED
Go to solution
SJOHNSON_2

Storageworks ultrium 1840 tape drive not performing well. HELP!

Hello,

I have a Ultrium 1840 tape drive and I am using LTO 4 media. I am only backing up at a rate of 500 MB/Min!!! I am directly attached to the server I am backing up, not going across the network. If anyone could give me an idea of how to improve the performance of my backup I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,
Shad
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

hi
lots of factors may impact performance, what you should do is to identify step by step various part of the system
first, identify if the cause is in the target or in the source
-clean the drive first with a "non expired cleaning tape"
- load a brand new tape for the test
-start LTT and run the device Perf test selecting in the advanced settings enough data to run for at least 15 minutes (avoiding buffer effects)
-check the result
(this test generate data in the server memory and send the data directly to the drive via HBA, so you can check the HBA, the scsi cable, scsi terminator, drive and tape at that time.) if the speed is as expected, you can proceed with next step
Next step is to run the System Perf test from LTT, this test may read or write to the source you select, here you should read the data you usualy use for your backup, or you can generate data with know caracteristics and then run the read test using those data.

Also a support ticket collected on the drive may tell you if there are errors on the drive itself or with the connectivity
SJOHNSON_2

I downloaded and installed the LTT but most options are greyed out and even though it sees my tape drive it says it cannot access the miniport driver because another application may have it locked.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

HI
That mean you have to stop the backup application or RSM (removable storage Manager) or what else is accessing and reserving access to your drives.
SJOHNSON_2

Yeah, I figured that out! :-s I am upgrading the firmware now and will run the tests.