1752805 Members
5656 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Sun Storedge L9/HP SureStore 1/9 transport over force

Pavel Troller

Sun Storedge L9/HP SureStore 1/9 transport over force

Hi!
I've got two pieces of the above devices. One seems to be working well, but the second permanently fails to pass the self test. There is a hard error 76 (failed to perform an inventory check) with qualifier 21 (Translate system detected an over force), with sequence numbers 8,54,153,153,53,54.
The units were dismounted from an installation, where they were not operated for years.
The tape path is clear, the picker can be moved by hand with force very similar to the second, working unit. I've even removed the cover on the right side of the box, carefully removed the picker, cleaned its gears and the rails in the box, even more carefully reinserted it, but nothing has changed. The picker does the following "exercises" when trying to boot or recalibrate the library: Goes to the "leftmost" position (against slot 1), then slowly moves around until it stops at the right of the box (a "knock" can be heard, as it hits the box), then very quickly returns (braking only in the corners) and stops again in the leftmost position (so the front magazine keeps moved to the left), then the error is displayed immediately. I cannot see any mechanical problem. I've tried to replace the control card from the second, working unit, and it does the same with it.
Any help, how to fix the unit, is highly appreciated, otherwise it will end up just as a source of spares for the first one :-(.
With regards, Pavel
4 REPLIES 4
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Re: Sun Storedge L9/HP SureStore 1/9 transport over force

I do not have the construction details of the product, but from what you explain, and if the overforce is not occuring during the translation, but when it hit the end of the path, probably htere is an issue with some sensor or encoder external or within the motor. Have you seen something like that?
Pavel Troller

I was searching for some "path end sensor" but I didn't find any. There seems to be something like an optical rotation sensor/encoder in the translate gearbox, which is probably working, because the picker moves with no problem. In the documentation, I've found some special tests, which would help me to further refine the diagnosis or maybe even fix it by special recalibration procedures, but I cannot access them because of a "Service password", which I don't know and which seems to be kept even more secret than those for the US president's nuclear suitcase :-).
Regards, Pavel
Rajat Bhargava
HPE Pro

Pavel,
seems that the motor responsible for moving the robot may have gone bad.

Have you tried finding the device with Library and Tape Tools? I think it might just end up being a Firmware issue and nothing else.

If you need the service password call the helpdek and ask for a two day temporary pasword...

Rajat
Regards
Rajat_B
I am an HPE Employee
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Wow this is way back. It sounds like things are close enough to working that you should be able to get it going.

The sequence numbers are:
Fast move to end of travel vertical
Move Left
Plunge find tape release position
Plunge find tape release position
Move Right
Move Left

None of those are error recovery so it doesn't look like the picker is having problems.

First make certain you have the final firmware build installed. Nobody could remember exactly which build added it but there was some enhancement to the error recovery in this area somewhere late in the support life.

A couple of other things to try:
Turn off the library, hold the "Next" key and the "Enter" key, turn on the library, wait until something displays on the front panel then release.

That will do a hard clear settings.

If that won't work a few other settings can be cleared by using the same process with the "Cancel" and "Enter" keys.

If getting the firmware updated and the settings cleared doesn't resolve the problem pull the magazine out and see if it will power up. If the mechanism that allows the magazine to move sideways is gummed up then it can cause this error. Removing the magazine will skip that check so if it powers up correctly then you have a better idea where to look.

You won't find any simple sensors for this particular error. The servo system is monitoring the torque each motor is generating and using different thresholds for maximum allowed torque at various points. The measurements must be working for the power up process to make it that far.