5987 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStor DAT8E SCSI Termination help

SOLVED
Go to solution
DEL CLIFTON

SureStor DAT8E SCSI Termination help

I just replaced an old Adaptec SCSI controller with a 29160. The only device on the controller is the DAT8E tape drive. The controller gives me a device termination error when booting the Adaptec controller firmware. Adaptec tech support has been no help at all. The drive is in the external case that it came in, the terminator is plugged onto the second connector as before. Anyone have any ideas as to what is wrong? Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: SureStor DAT8E SCSI Termination help

Hello,

Are you using the same terminator as before? If the card was single-ended, this is not compatible with the 29160, since this is a SCSI-3 card.

Why did you replace your card with a 29160? Dat8e is an SE device, should be quite happy with an SE card. A 29160 would be too much for it, although it is backward-compatible with SE.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
DEL CLIFTON

Yes, it is the same terminator. The old 2940 went bad and I figured that I might as well get something more current.... What type of terminiator do I need?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

DEL CLIFTON

Hi Vince. Thanks for your time & expertise. I'm using an active terminator already. I should mention that the connectors on the tape drive enclosure are 50 pin centronics type. The original cable was centronics to 50 pin hd. I replaced it with a centronics to 68 pin cable to avoid having to use an adaptor.

Thanks,

Del
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
may be you already know, but:
29160 is a wide U3 Scsi board (16 bit)
dat 8 is a Narrow SCSi (8bit)
terminator is is connected on the external tape will terminate only 8 bits.
you need to set the scsi bios to Narrow, and terminate the 8 free bits, usualy with a converter or a on line terminator on the cable before the dat.

bye
marino