StoreEver Tape Storage
1745828 Members
3728 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore DAT 24i needs recalibration?

Frank van Wensveen

SureStore DAT 24i needs recalibration?

My HP SureStore DAT 24i DAT tapedrive performs erratically, refuses to mount tapes, and experiences read and write errors. The small circular brush that is mounted inside the streamer next to the rotary head drum is acutated repeatedly, presumably as the drive suspects a dusty drum and tries to clean it.

I have ran the diagnostics in the library and tape tools, and I get the following message:

"Your drive may require re-calibration. If you are still having problems please contact support for details on how to recalibrate..."

What gives?

(I'm attatching the generated ticket for more info.)

Frank van Wensveen
Rotterdam, Netherlands
6 REPLIES 6
harry d brown jr
Honored Contributor

Frank,

Having replaced hundreds of tape drives, the rule usually is "when in doubt throw it out". I found this rule is true for CD drives of any type also. You should contact HP direct to see if there is a "calibration" method available, but it will usually require sending it in for "repair".

If you find something different, and a fix, let us know what was done to get it running again.

live free or die
harry
Live Free or Die
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi
Now there is a function in Ltt that check this situation, if the message is displayed in the report, you need to recalibrate the dat.
How to do that?: Now there is a script mada for that, run LTT, load from HP site the recalibration script, and run it from LTT.
bye
marino
Frank van Wensveen

Hi, Harry,

The message about recalibration in the diagnostics log gave me the impression that this might be a routine issue with this kind of tape streamer. I now understand that it's not.

I agree with you; no data should be trusted to a suspect tape drive. I'm getting all kinds of other errors as well as I run further tests, so it definitely looks like it's about to fail completely.

It's going to be replaced. It's no longer under warranty so I guess I'll just have to buy a new one.

Thanks.
Frank van Wensveen

Hi, Meloni,
Thanks - I found the script you mentioned. But when I run it I get all kinds of other errors, so this is not a routine matter. I'm going to have this tape streamer replaced - it's not reliable anymore, obviously.

Frank

Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

hi Frank,
right, the recalibration request is only the last step in troubleshooting, you have to check communication, catridge, cleaning ans so on before recalibrating the magnetic head, so if the errors are differents, probably the routine asking for recalibration, is a consequence of the other errors
bye
marino
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

FYI, the recalibration script is intended for use in conjunction with the HP support agent. If the agent feels that recalibration can eliminate the errors a customer is experiencing, they will ask the customer to run this utility (if the drive is attached to a Windows host).

The phone number for support can be found at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/ContactHP.jsp
The journey IS the reward.