StoreEver Tape Storage
1752330 Members
5602 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore DLT Library 7115w Drive Eject Failure

Kirk Fuller

SureStore DLT Library 7115w Drive Eject Failure

My company recently consolidated some server equipment, during which we obtained a SureStore DLT Library 7115w. The library has 2 drives, and has not been used since approximately 2000. It passes self tests, and we have updated both the library and drive firmware using the HP StorageWorks Library and Tape Tools.

The issue we are having is that neither drive 1 or drive 2 will eject a tape. We have confirmed this with either both drives installed, or with only 1 drive installed on either SCSI bus. Below is the error log:

Hardware Err# 43h = Get_Drive
FRU 1 # 2 = DLT_Drive
FRU 2 # 27 = Picker
FRU 3 # 1 = Controller
Motion MOVE
Source # = 1
Destination 1 # = 31
Destination 2 # = 0
Odometer = 3320
Micromove 1 # = 1Dh = Y_latch_dn
Micromove 2 # = A3h = Z_close_latch_sa
Micromove 3 # = A2h = Z_close_latch1
Micromove 4 # = 2h = Y_move_dn
Micromove 5 # = 83h = Z_open_latch1
Micromove 6 # = 7Eh = Z_wait_drive_eject
Micromove ER # = 24h = Drive_Eject_Failed

Again, we have gotten this with both drives, on both SCSI bus. I'm leaning towards a communications error between the controller and the drive. I have tried directly connecting one of the drives to the SCSI chain, outside of the library. It passed all available tests in the HP Storage Works utility.

Any ideas on what could be causing this error? It would be a shame to let such a nice piece of barely used equipment go to waste.

Thanks!
-Kirk
5 REPLIES 5
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kirk, just a suggestion but are you using the command to take the drive offline before attempting to eject the tape. on some libraries you have to do an:
"mt -t /dev/rmt/0mnb offl" or whatever address your drive is, and then you can do the "mc -p /dev/picker -s D1 -d S3" etc and this will put the tapes back in the storage slots for you.
hope this solves your problem
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Kirk Fuller

Malvin,

Your response made me think to put some more information up on this post.

I have ran most tests while not connected to any server. When the library was connected to run the HP LTT utility, it was Windows 2000, not linux or unix. As such I would not know how to issue the commands you suggested from within Windows or the library control panel.

-Kirk

malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Kirk again, I am enclosing a link for the user guide for your library.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/lpg28363/lpg28363.pdf

there is a control panel description and one of the options is to empty the drive.
see if this works for you.
didn't appreciate that you didn't have Unix, and being as I am not an MS person, I don't know what the commands are for your system,
cheers
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
malvin drakley
Esteemed Contributor

Kirk, forgot to say see page 62 of 136
malvin
Not me Chief, I'm Radar
Kirk Fuller

Malvin,

Thanks for the link, but this is the same document I have been using to diagnose this library device.

The error listed in my original post was the result of a "Eject Drive" command performed through the control panel from the admin screen.

There have been similar results found when initiating an door open command, where it also asks to unload all drives before opening. The error listed on the original post contained the most commonly found error messages.

Thanks,
-Kirk