108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore Dat24 OBDR tape stuck

SOLVED
Go to solution
selina3
Occasional Contributor

SureStore Dat24 OBDR tape stuck

This server has always been this way since I joined the company 2 months ago. It's on Win2000 Sp4, using Veritas BE v.9.0 with HP SureStore Dat24 internal.
The tape drive doesn't seem to be on but how do I switch it on when it's internal??
The tape is in the drive and just wouldn't come out. Is there anyway to fix this?

Thx
-selina
5 REPLIES 5
Christian Peter
Frequent Advisor

try to reboot the server, or check the power cable inside the server...

pete krohn
Occasional Advisor
Solution

if unit does not show any obvious signs of transport movement (either library or tape drive) check power input wiring. obvious but oft overlooked. if unit shows lcd display indications, determine if interface cables are connected correctly. unit may have experienced a severe failure due to tape jam or mechanical failure. ( its HP, so not likely!)

if you get some indication of LED on unit,
hold eject button in continuously while powering up the whole box, and wait, it can take 4-5 minutes while the drive does its timely things. it should spit the tape right out.

if unit can be removed from service ( its not working anyway right?), then try power up with some other proper supply source. we keep a spare atx 200 watt PC supply in the coffee cupboard for this purpose.

if no dice,& if in warranty send it back or apply for service. check your companies service contracts and if the mamagment has any. else apply for expensive repair return to some service company. but always try warranty methods FIRST! this is where your paper trails of inventory come in VERY handy!

remember, if you mess with the drive trying to disasseble it, then any warranty is GONE, NULL and VOID!

it may be cheaper to replace this unit during an upgrade span cycle or outright immediate purchase.

or perhaps find local PC repair shop to dissassemble and retrieve your tape if not mangled.

never attempt to force the tape cart in any way, it is in among delicate machinery that bends very easily, leaving you with a useless hung of junk later on.

submit tape to qualified recovery center if you have valuable content to recover.

selina3
Occasional Contributor

Hi, Pete.
Thanks for your reply.
There is no indication at all of LED. And I have tried force tape eject method but didn't work.

The unit cannot be removes since it's internal and I need to keep this server running.

And I didn't completely understand what you were talking about here...
"if unit does not show any obvious signs of transport movement (either library or tape drive) check power input wiring. obvious but oft overlooked. if unit shows lcd display indications, determine if interface cables are connected correctly. unit may have experienced a severe failure due to tape jam or mechanical failure. ( its HP, so not likely!)"
I have done test using L&TT and they all passed...
Maybe you are talking about something else. Can you break it down for me, please?

Thanks.
-selina
Satish M.S.
Valued Contributor

Selina:
With Library and Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools)
try to flash the firmware, in doing so, L&TT will prompt saying "tape in the drive, do you want to eject it?", click okay and the tape should pop out.
alifhasan

selina,

i have this problem several times. this month i have this experiences about yhree times. there's no way only to reboot the machine.
tell to your company it's important to down the server for half hour than have no backup.

good luck.
any suggestion to having more robust /reliable tape drive from HP for Novel Netware?

ali