108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

SureStore LIbrary LTO Drives can't use Cleaning Tapes

SOLVED
Go to solution
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

SureStore LIbrary LTO Drives can't use Cleaning Tapes

I have a 4/60 Surestore library with Ultrium drives. The firmware has been updated to E31R, which actually fixed some serious issues we had with drive hangs. Now, however, it seems that none of the drives will accept a cleaning tape... when I try and clean a drive, or when the library tries, I see an error that states

1 11/06/02 01:17 1 Ultrium 1-SCSI Tape Drive Has Detected Invalid Cleaning Cartridge (23) CRITICAL

The cleaning cartridges are LTO, but not HP. They are IBM. Anyone heard or seen an issue where LTO drives are not accepting cleaning cartridges?

Ted

P.S. This thread has been moevd from Disk to Tape Libraries and Drives. - Hp forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Re: SureStore LIbrary LTO Drives can't use Cleaning Tapes

Ted,

I have not specifically heard any issues to this regard. Have a look at the compatability table at this URL:

http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg75088.html

It would appear that the IBM cleaning cartridge should work unless I'm reading the table incorrectly. I think I would order an HP and see if it works properly.

HTH,

Dave
David Bell_1
Honored Contributor

Ted,

One other location that leans towards requiring an HP cartridge only.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=lpg75094&locale=en_US&docId=80100

HTH,

Dave
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

good info... we have always used a variety of tape brands, never with an issue. All of a sudden the library complains. I have a bad drive that is being replaced today and I may ask the HP rep to see about getting me an HP cleaning tape to test, as this should not be happening
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

thanks, but I do not read that to indicate you should need HP cleaning tapes. That first matrix lists IBM cleaning cartridges as OK, so they should work... they used to. I am suspecting the firmware rev may have introduced a new problem.... I'm hoping someone else has the same firmware and uses IBM cleaning tapes that can either confirm or deny this
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi
I use a 2/20 LTO library with the same firmware as you. There is no problem with drive cleaning so your problem seems to be the IBM tape (I use HP cleaning tape).
Ted Ellis_2
Honored Contributor

Had HP out here and apparently the drives with this firmware are sensitive to the HP brand. Pretty dissapointing since HP claims that the IBM tapes are OK. I will order some HP cleaning tapes and bite my toungue.... no more replies required

Ted