1753626 Members
5593 Online
108797 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: SureStore T20

John_E
Occasional Advisor

SureStore T20

Suddenly, during boot process, my computer hangs on SCSI ID 5, which is my tape drive. Computer then proceeds to boot. I then used Colorado Backup and tried to access a tape getting this response - Unrecoverable Hardware Error, ref: 05-12-23-00-40A0. Any Ideas?

Machine is an all SCSI BX Pentium III system running 98SE. Drive is about 18 months old.

Thanks...

P.S. This thread has been moved from Storage>General to Tape Libraries and Drives. -HP Forum Moderator

6 REPLIES 6
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

I certainly sounds as if the Tape device has gone bad.. Is it an internal device or external? ie, can you power off or disconect the drive?
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
John_E
Occasional Advisor

Tommy-the drive is internal, and frankly only gets used monthly at best. After checking the power cable and scsi cable, the drive began to work. Problem is, I did not find them loose or see anything wrong.

As I write this response the drive is still working. I assume it is the power cable, connector, or drive board connector. When it is dead and you insert a tape nothing happens like it has no power. If it was the scsi cable would it still tension itself upon insertion?

I don't know the answer, so I'll let it go for awhile. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

If it was a power problem, the system should boot without hanging on the SCSI. I have seen drive internal problems that affect the SCSI and that would affect the boot up.
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
John_E
Occasional Advisor

Well, the system hung on ID 5 (the tape drive) again this AM, then went ahead and booted. Upon inserting a tape-the T20 was dead. Rebooted and tapped the tower while powering up and the system and T20 came up fine. Cold solder joint maybe?

How about that error code, is there a chart somewhere?

If it continues I'll take the tower out (it's hard to do because of where it's located) and remove the drive to examine it and the connectors carefully.
Robert Bean
Advisor

The Unrecoverable Hardware Error, ref: 05-12-23-00-40A0 is a generic error code. Try the following:

1.Try another tape.
2.Check the firmware revision, and upgrade to the latest firmware available.
NOTE: Upgrade firmware in DOS mode if it fails in Windows.
3.Cycle the power on the PC.

If you continue to have issues after that, and you are still within your warranty I suggest you call in for further assistance on the drive. (970) 635-1500 The hours of operation are 6am to 6pm MST.
John_E
Occasional Advisor

Thank you Robert for your suggestion. I did contact HP and they replaced the drive. Installed new one without problems so far.

Am concerned about what caused the original one to go bad. This device does not get heavy usage and suddenly just failed. Oh well.

Thanks again and hopefully the new one will last much longer.