New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore 2/20 library with DLT80 and LTO Drives

SOLVED
Go to solution
Declan Hogan
Frequent Advisor

Surestore 2/20 library with DLT80 and LTO Drives

Hi,

I currently have a Surestore 1/20 DLT8000 Tape Library containing a single DLT8000 Drive. I am concidering my options regarding adding a second Tape Device to the Library.

I would like to add an Ultrium / LTO Drive as the second device. I know I would also have to change the Tape Magazines on one side for the LTO Tape type.

Has anyone tried this and are there any other technical issues with doing this. I do know this is not a HP recommended / supported config.

Regards,
Declan Hogan.
Declan Hogan
6 REPLIES 6
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Declan,
I know for sure that drives type should be the same within library. So now you can add only DLT8000 drive
Eugeny
Walter Iacullo

I'm answering from a linux Depending on the backup software you are using, it is possible (according to the linux mt-st and mx specs) to have 2 different drives in one library. You also correctly stated that you'd need different magazines. That being said, it is HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED as accidents can and do happen from time to time (my robot has gone nuts for either some obscure SCSI error or no good reason a time or two). If you REALLY want to forge ahead with your proposed configuration, I believe it is possible using BRUPro from Tolisgroup as their SW piggy backs off mt-st and should allow this. That being said, the aforementioned really applies only to linux, and as always YMMV
-Walt
Michael Tully
Honored Contributor

We have a 20/700 library, and we have a mixture of DLT8000 and DLT7000. Of course they run from different FC bridges. I would not use two different type of drives that uses different types of media.
Anyone for a Mutiny ?
Vincent Farrugia
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello,

In Galactica libraries, you CANNOT have 2 mixed drives on the same floor. If, for example, you have a 4/40, you can have 2 DLT8000 on the lower floor and 2 Ultriums on the higher floor. But not mixed on the same floor.

In your situation, you have a 1/20, so you can only add 1 more drive in the SAME floor. So, no, you cannot add an Ultrium, you can only add a DLT8000 drive, to be the same as your current one.

HTH,
Vince
Tape Drives RULE!!!
Peter Brewster
Advisor

Hello Declan,

We have a product that can redefine all the drives in the library to appear to the server(s) to be the same kind. Your DLT8000 and your (HP?) LTO drive will be recognized as the same type of LTO drive.

It's up to you to keep the media straight.

If any interest e-mail me at peter@tdsys.com or call John Kells at 508-393-0861.

Peter Brewster
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Vincent already posted the official answer that the library family you have is only supposed to have 1 drive type for each level. With a 20 slot library you only have 1 level so you only get one drive type.

With that said, having both LTO and DLT8000 drives in a 2/20 works perfectly. The firmware is able to keep track of which types of tapes are where and will only allow valid tape/drive move combinations so even if your software gets messed up the library won't allow an impossible move.

I have that exact configuration sitting beside me right now but I had to put it together myself. Managing 2 different types of media in a single level library has turned out to be trickier than I thought though.