1752577 Members
4268 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Surestore DAT 40i DDS4 Problems

Dave Twilley

Surestore DAT 40i DDS4 Problems

Had a 40i for a while now, heres my config and problem:

SCSI Card - Adaptec RAID 2100S (9 header terminated cable)
Other Drives - 5 18Gb Quantum Atlas running 3 in RAID 5 and 2 in RAID 1
OS - Windows 2000 Server

I installed the Tapeware which came with the drive and used the driver Win2k recommened and Tapeware sees the drive fine, now I'm fed up with Tapeware because it doesnt have the functionality and also it keeps badly recognising media.

So, I downloaded some free trials of well known software and none of them detect a tape drive and neither does the built in Windows Backup software, Removable Storage also doesnt detect and drives. What device driver do I need to make this work and be recognised as a win2k tape drive so that all the software can read it.

i notice that tapeware only recognises it by directly scanning the SCSI bus.

ideas please? I remember reading somewhere once that the drive didnt have a proper device driver but the 40i is on everyones compatibility listings!
6 REPLIES 6
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Re: Surestore DAT 40i DDS4 Problems

Dave,

Tapeware has built in tapedrivers. When you move to different software like BackupExec or NTbackup you will need to install the 4mm DDS driver for Windows 2000.

Find it at

NOTE: Link removed by Warren_Admin on 9 May 2012, as it is no longer valid. Please select your product from the menus on page http://www8.hp.com/us/en/support-drivers.html.  

hth,

-Cal.

Dave Twilley

ok, do I need to uninstall tapeware then to remove this?

Yesterday I selected the device driver and updated it with one from the windows inf repository and rebooted the server, same problem, i'm now assuming tapeware must be completely removed as it uses some kind of miniport driver?
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Your best option might be to remove TapeWare, check that the device is detected by checking in 'device manager' under tape drives. Also make sure there is not accidentally a red cross through the tapedrive indicating that it has been 'disabled' (like I have here on my machine)

br,

-Cal.
Dave Twilley

The drive has always been visible in device manager under tape drives, no red x's or anything, all installed fine as far as device manager is concerned.

However in the tapetool from HP which i downloaded it scans the SCSI bus and then says that it can see a HP 5683A drive and then says "driver - none installed"

Will removing tapeware solve this? and then removing the device driver and letting w2k find new hardware to pick it up and resinstall driver?
Eric de Lange_2
Respected Contributor

Hi Dave,

I am not sure why it won't load the default 4mm driver that comes with windows 2000 but I suggest that you try the one from the website I mentioned earlier.

There really should not be a need to deinstall TapeWare. Just stopping the TapeWare service (under 'services') should do the trick as I just tested here. (I changed the startup type to manual)

-cal.
Jan Klier
Respected Contributor

If you continue to have problems runnint HP L&TT, you can send your support ticket and/or a tool status report to ltt_team@hp.com and we can analyze this further. (Disclaimer: this e-mail address is for support with tool problems, not for hardware support).

In general, if L&TT is running with NT Miniport I/O it can detect all devices that either use standard NT drivers, or are not claimed by any driver. There are some limitations to detect devices which are claimed by propietary drivers.

This limitation does not exist if you the ASPI I/O mode. Some people are reluctant to install ASPI, as it is not officially supported because it violates the Win2K security envelope, but there is no technical reason for it not to work - in fact it has worked very well on many systems.