1748151 Members
3965 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Surestore DLT 80 / 29160N

Leon Majewski

Surestore DLT 80 / 29160N

Hello
Has anyone had success in connecting an external HP Surestore DLT 80 to the internal 68 pin connector on the adaptec 29160N scsi/pci adapter?

I seem to be having a bit of trouble.

dlt 80: id 5
29160N: id 7 (default settings, including auto termination)
cable: 68pin Ultra2 scsi cable with terminator

I normally have a couple of internal scsi 50pin devices, but i disconnected them to aid in troubleshoot.

With this config, I get timeouts on id5. I'm a scsi novice, so have little idea about what could be the problem/solution.

Is it a 68-wide vs 68-ultra 2 problem?

(I'm running Redhat Linux 7.2 if that could be an issue)

Thanks for any info,
Leon
4 REPLIES 4
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Leon,
N means Narrow. If your DLT8000 drive is really LVD-wide you should use 29160lp, see http://www.hp.com/cposupport/information_storage/support_doc/lpg50063.html
Eugeny
Leon Majewski

Hi Eugeny
I looked through the adaptec site for specs on the N and LP versions.

N:
Ext:One 50-pin for Ultra SCSI
Int:One 68-pin for LVD SCSI + One 50-pin for Ultra SCSI

LP: [recommended HBA]
Ext:One 68-pin VHDCI for LVD SCSI devices
Int:One 68-pin for LVD SCSI

But if the 80i and 80e have the same card suggested (LP), then the 80i must be working with the internal 68-pin -- same as the N internal connector.

Is this right or am I confused?

A couple of techs at uni suggest that they _should_ be compatible, but we'll investigate more tomorrow.

Thanks again,
Leon
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Maybe... look at this http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?sess=no&language=English+US&prodkey=ASC-29160N&cat=Products . It says
"Ultra160 SCSI performance for internal hard drives and external legacy devices" and "to attach external narrow SCSI devices".
I remember someone has already had these issues with 29160N, and remember they were solved with wide 29160(lp). But not sure if that unit was internal or external...
Eugeny
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Check your termination. You indicate that your cable is a 68 pin Ultra2 SCSI with termination. SCSI terms are so often misused that I don't trust them.

Make certain that the internal terminator is LVD. It may be a SE terminator and some SE terminators do not work properly with LVD controllers.

Put the terminator at the end of the chain away from the hba.