Storage Boards Cleanup
To make it easier to find information about HPE Storage products and solutions, we are doing spring cleaning. This includes consolidation of some older boards, and a simpler structure that more accurately reflects how people use HPE Storage.
Tape Libraries and Drives
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surestore DLT VS80 not backing up successfully

Property Tech
Occasional Visitor

Surestore DLT VS80 not backing up successfully

I have an external Surestore DLT VS80 tape drive, installed on our Compaq Proliant ML350 server. (Windows 2000) It worked like a champ for 2 months or so, and then we started getting all kinds of SCSI related errors. I already tried TechNet's advice on troubleshooting Event IDs 9 & 11, but to no avail. I've updated the firmware and all of the drivers. I've updated Backup Exec 8.5 to the latest version as well. We also use HP brand tapes as well... they're all brand new. The only other thing I haven't tried (because Compaq says it can't be done with this particular model), is drop the transfer rates and see if that helps. I'm going to install the drive on another server, but I'm running out of ideas. Help!
2 REPLIES
David Ruska
Honored Contributor

Re: Surestore DLT VS80 not backing up successfully

I would start by looking at the the devices error logs, to see what, if any, problems it has encountered. A SCSI related error could be a hard write error from the drive, or communications problems on the SCSI bus.

If you install HP Library & Tape Tools (www.hp.com/support/tapetools), you can then run the support ticket tool, and view the drive error logs. There's a power-on hour stamp on each error entry (up to the last 7) you can compare to the current power-on hour, and then see if they correlate to your backup failures.
The journey IS the reward.
Property Tech
Occasional Visitor

Re: Surestore DLT VS80 not backing up successfully

UPDATE: The drive finally passed away one fine evening. (All front LEDs stay lit even though it's not connected to anything but a power source) Actually, it was a relief because I have tried everything under the sun to try and find a remedy, and all along it was probably just a bad drive. I had to use our older tape drive for backups, and that device (using same SCSI settings/cabling required for the DLT drive) worked flawlessly while HP's was down. Thank you for all of your help.