StoreEver Tape Storage
1753524 Members
6896 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: T&LT Broke with STORport and SAN

Terry Peterson_1

You are absolutely right regarding the English. I was posting too fast to have noticed the cut and paste from my Tech support guy. Please excuse me.
Here is what I wanted to say, and I believe a new thread is not needed as it directly relates to the previous posts.
After updating the firmware of our DL360 G3 systems using Windows 2003 support package version 7.70, and the HP Library and Tape Tools to vs 4.21 SR1 ├в Data Protector 5.5 and upon relaunch the devices were recognized but the scanning never stops. Every attempt to stop the application or kill the process HP_LTT.EXE fails. In order to restore to normal operation, it was necessary to do a hard reset of the hardware as the normal shutdown procedure hangs the system with a gray screen. Does anybody have a solution to this? I saw within this forum that replacing the FCA drivers with the latest SCSIport version resolves this problem, but is the latest STORport FCA driver under Windows compatible. BTW we were forced to use the Windows drivers as the HP drivers would not recognize the devices after we updated all the firmware and service packages applicable to the recent versioning.
We also tried to relaunch the LTT exe with ├в o skipscan but with no solution to the hang.

win2k3 with the FCA2300 HBA, Data Protector 5.5, EVA3000 FC, connected to an MSL5030, and using the storport driver for this HBA due to HP driver not functioning. The problem is evident only on the two cluster setups using the Qlogic FC to the EVA3K. Previous to the firmware updates all was fine.

Installed STORPORT.SYS
Microsoft Storage Port Driver
5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
HP StorageWorksDate: 2/23/2007
Time: 13:42:59
Operating System: "Microsoft Windows 2003"

QlogicVer.exe Version: --- hp2300 Smart Component Not Installed ---
QlScsiPortVer.exe Version: --- Qlogic ScsiPort Smart Component Not Installed ---
QlStorPortVer.exe: Version "1.4.0.0" of the version file was found.

Qlogic StorPort Section *
---------------------------
Qlogic StorPort:: Version "9.1.3.16" of the driver was found.
Registry Parameters for ql2300 Driver:
UseSameNN=0 throttle=16
ql2300 Inf(s) Found:
oem19.inf oem20.inf
oem30.inf oem31.inf
oem32.inf oem33.inf
oem39.inf
ResetBus: [0]
MaximumSGList: [65]
NumberOfRequests: [150]
Configuration Type: * All Modes Supported *
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Hello Terry,

Please apply the hotfix found at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916048. When checking the storport driver version we noticed that this patch hasnt been applied. Due to problem describled in the article, LTT hangs during hardware scan. Applying this fix should resolve the issue.

Also, Using Windows├в Storport driver and Library and Tape Tools (L&TT) with an Interface Controller/Network Storage Router (NSR) that has an active fibre LUN target mapped to the host that L&TT is using, creates an issue where the L&TT hardware scan will hard lock the system. Installing the Storport compatible INF file or disabling the fibre LUN target on the IC/NSR will workaround the issue.

Regards
LTT Support
Terry Peterson_1

I tried to install the required hotfix , but still have problems. The HBA board is locked and unable to connect to the SAN and the cluster node is unusable (for example, if you go to the device manager and ask for the properties of the Qlogic Fiber Channel Adapter, the applet locks without displaying the Resources tab)
Which is the way to unlock such a board ?
Best regards
Terry Peterson_1

Sorry to keep bugging this forum, but it is now becoming urgent to resolve this issue due to lack of failover availability. We found the sympton of the problem in that both mailclu1 and dbclu1 the HBA is not responding (we tried to run the L&TT software only on these as to not force a lock on our full cluster services. Thankfully for this precaution, as it seems that a software issue of the L&TT locked the HBAs on the two of four DL360G3 cluster machines and we must found a way to unlock it. Does not anybody have a solution, command line or service app, to unlock the HBA? A normal reboot does not solve the problem and the HBA do not respond. I would like to mind you that everything was fine in this reqard prior to implementing the HP L&TT team solution to upgrade all firmwares and associated drivers. Now we are looking at backtracking and downgrading to see if a resove is possible unless someone can tell us how to unlock these darn Qlogic 2300 HBA. This problem is evident through the support forums, and amoung various system configurations. Thank you please anyone.
Richard Bickers
Trusted Contributor

Hi Terry. We weren't expecting your system to lock the drivers like that. We just gave you the MS standard patch for the StorPort drivers and advice if you have a LUN set up on your NSR.

We're trying to find out more about what form of lock up you may be having and if there's a way to unlock the HBA. We've not come across this before. It's very strange that a re-boot hasn't helped. If it's a hardware lock-up have you also tried power-cycling - maybe the software-only re-boot isn't resetting everything.

LTT isn't usually the cause of driver issues but can be the trigger because it uses diagnostic commands which are standard and *should* be supported - but not always as well tested by the driver writers as they should be.

I appreciate your need for urgency.
It's more interesting when it's gone wrong
LTT Team
Valued Contributor

Terry,

We assure you that LTT doesnt lock the HBA and it is compatible with storport drivers. There is something which has gone wrong that needs to be identified.

We can backtrack and bring the system prior to patch installation state.

Uninstall LTT and the patch via "add\remove programs". Note, to remove the patch you would need to check "show windows update". Then reboot the server.

HBA locks can happen when there is an issue with the target device. Verifying them would be a good option.

Can you check EventViewer for messages?

Regards
LTT Support
SteveBxxx
Frequent Advisor

When I had this problem, I also had exactly that symptom (HBA locked even across boot) albeit with Emulex HBA. I can't remember how I unlocked the HBA, probably via the boot menu, or maybe via a cold restart, maybe via the emulex lputil.
Installing the latest Microsoft Storport / Emulex drivers / version 5 (or 6) of the e1200 null driver definitely made the LTT problem go away. I think all 3 of these updates were necessary.
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

FYI here is the advisory form june 06 about this problem, hope you can found the solution here
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=254838&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00683746

marino