8085 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TL891 Loader Fault.

Bona_1
Frequent Advisor

TL891 Loader Fault.

Hi all,
I am battling with a TL891 Tape library. Earlier on, it gave me an error, with the fault code 2072, which I was able to clear by doing a factory reset (escape+ power cycle.) Since then, though the Fault 2072 has disappeared, it has been replaced by yet another fault: Fault code 5000. No DLTs attached. Does anyone know of a fix to this peculiar problem?
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
OCLTIT
Occasional Advisor

Re: TL891 Loader Fault.

I had the TL891 in my previous job. I had some errors with it, and fixed those. Could you please retell the sequence of things that happen to it (message sequence you see on the device screen, leds come on), after the moment you turn its power on.

All the errors I had with the loader, is that it becomes misplaced inside the library - and becomes lost -doesn't know where its initial position. Also it can have some physical difficulties moving back and forward with the string it is connected to. I think opening the upper cover and taking a look inside might tell a few things.

Moreover, calling the HP support staff on site might also be a good idea.
Bona_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mantvydas
this problem seems to be a new one. Basically, when the tape library starts booting, it takes an unusually long time searching for DLT0 and DLT1. After all the initialisation, the message "DLT0 : no tape" does not show, all I see is the loader, and the tapes loaded. I have opened it up, and tried to fathom out whatever may be happening, but I really don't have any idea what an ideal library should look like.

Thanks
OCLTIT
Occasional Advisor

That's what's being said about 2072 in the manual:
Command Timeout
Power Down, Wait 30 seconds, Power Up. Occurs if the power is cycled too
quickly and the DLT drive comes up in an error state and doesn???t communicate with the library controller.

Fault 5000? There is no fault 5000 described in the manual. They start with 5001 and end with 5090.

All of this is can be found in ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/supportinformation/techpubs/user_reference_guides/er-tl891-ua-a01.pdf

I'd urge you to call to HP service.
rma_it

Bona,

I was wondering what the resolution for this was as I am currently experiencing the same scenario? Once I performed the escape+power down reset and rebooted the library, I now have the Fault Code: 5000 error message?

Thanks
Bona_1
Frequent Advisor

What I discovered was that the DLT drive in the tape library had failed, and I had to replace it. That solved the problem for sure. If you are qualified, you can open up the TL891 and see whether there are multiple lights flashing on the drive after you power it up.

rma_it

I do recall when I was looking in the library that all the orange lights were on. So it sounds as though my only alternative is to replace my drive. I appreciate the assistance.

Thanks
Jeffrey Willemsen
Frequent Advisor

You can easily tell if a DLT has failed on you. If you power up all LED's will light (left and right). All LED's should go out after a short while. If the LED's on the left don't turn off the main controller logic is dead, if they flash they signal a hardware error. If the LED's on the right side don't go out the servo is dead, if they flash there is a servo problem.

Jeffrey
Don't change a working configuration