StoreEver Tape Storage
1752290 Members
4448 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TL891 -- Setting Compression on

Terry Dillon_1

TL891 -- Setting Compression on

I try to set compression "ON" on my TL 7000 tape drives from the front panel but it keeps going back to "Auto select" What am I missing?

Thanks for any help
8 REPLIES 8
Leif Halvarsson_2
Honored Contributor

Hi,
Is the media new or used ? If used, try a new media.
Terry Dillon_1

Leif,

Unfortunately this is an old library - All I have is a few hundred used tapes.
Do you, or anyone know of an erase utility?

Terry
Peter Godron
Honored Contributor

Terry,
with HPUNIX you would select a different /dev/rmt/device file.
What platform are you using?
Regards
Terry Dillon_1

Sorry for the delay updating this issue. We are in the final stages of implementing Oracle Applications.

We are using Tru64 5.1b SP4 here.

I did order some new tapes as well for testing, but at some point I will need to recycle my esisting tapes.

The backup software we are using is Legato Networker 6.4

For normal file system backups I can control compression with the backup application. Oracle Rman just uses the Networker API so compression needs to be set at the hardware.

Another thought -- Is it possable to send a control string (via a script) to enable compression, if so, does anybody know the nessary control codes?

Terry
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Use special device file TapeX_d1, as suggesteted in Legato documentation. This should enable software compression.

The drives DLT7000 should be set up by default with Hardware compression enabled

HTH
Claudio Ruzza
Terry Dillon_1

Claudio,

I searched the administrator's and Installation Guides (versions 6.1 to 7.2) but couldn't find any references to "TapeX"
Would you be so kind as to steer me in a little closer -- What guide, what version?

Thank you,

Terry
Claudio Ruzza_1
Valued Contributor

Sorry for having mislead you. In my wish, the "X" in TapeX_d1 was the special device file number of the phisical drive. I forgot to mention it, apologize.

I had a look also thru Legato Networker docs - very starnge, in newer manuals is not reported. I took the following sentence from
"Legato NetWorker
Release 7.0
HP Tru64 Version
Installation Guide":

NetWorker software uses the following naming standard to indicate that a device is
nonrewinding, and in this case, a Berkeley device:
/dev/ntape/tape0_d1
For further information about remote devices and device configuration, refer to the
Legato NetWorker Administrator├в s Guide, UNIX Version.

I remember that in earlier manual versions a more deep explanation about special device files to use with Tru64 was available, perhaps with Networker 6.x.x. Unfortunately those manuals are not available anymore on Legato website.
However I'm quite sure that the syntax indicated above is the best to use.

HTH
Claudio Ru
Terry Dillon_1

Thank you all for your time.

I think I need to call Legato Support on this -- When I have time to sit on hold for an hour :-)