5234 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TL891 & BE8.5

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

TL891 & BE8.5

Hi,

I have a TL891 (twogether with a DataUnit 128670-B21 and a ExpansionUnit 120877-B21) connected to a ML380. OS=WniNT4.0 SP6. BackupExec 8.5
ID's: TL891=0; Exp.Unit=1; DLT0=4; DLT1=5

I'm able to backup data to the library, but:

- BE uses only DLT0 (DLT 1 is working if I define it in a sep. Backup-Job) Should I be able to backup simultanious to both DLT's with ONE Backup-Job?

- BE uses only the 10Slot Magazin in the TL891. the 2 other 16Slot Magazins are not used.

- BE does create two entries:
1. TL891 with 2DLT's & 10 Tapes
2. 32 Tapes
As far as I know it should only be one entry... but how can I tell this to BE????

I did this configuration first with a Adaptec 2944UW, connecting all devices to the external Port (Backup was 230MB/min)
Now I connected it to a Modular Data Router via fibre (backup is 250MB/min.)
Should I get a higher backup-rate?

thanks for your help
Flex
5 REPLIES 5
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Re: TL891 & BE8.5

I've found something on the DLT MiniLibrary Installation and Upgrading CD (June 99):

*********************** IMPORTANT: All MiniLibrary Base Units are shipped as standalone systems. Before powering up the Expansion Unit in a MiniLibrary system after adding Base Units, you must re-configure each new Base Unit in the system as a slave. The Expansion Unit is the master for the entire library.
View the Base Unit's front panel.

Go to the Alternate Configuration menu.

Change the fourth line to 'Slave'.

Save the new selection. Repeat for each Base Unit.

Change SCSI IDs, if necessary at this point. Refer to the product documentation for specific instructions. The SCSI IDs must be unique. So if there are drives daisy-chained together, you might need to change the IDs. Compaq strongly recommends limiting how many drives are daisy-chained together.

Cycle the power when done.

******************************** But... It did'nt work... after I've done what the above text tells me, the TL891 will perform a Firmwareupdate... During this Update the ExpansionUnit came with a errormessage and now both (TL891 and DataUnit) are waiting to "synch with Master or Host".
s**t

I've downloaded the Firmware Upgrade for the TL891 (170678-001) but it tells me that there is either no Firmware on the disk or no DLT-Library. I tried it via fibre (with modular Data Router) and direkt with a Adaptec2944UW. ---- Both the same error...
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

On the Compaq-support-site is also a minilibrary-driver for Windows2000, I have used it also with a TL891, sometime you must maunal configure the changer with windows2000, info is in the readme-file and in Q248800 on the microsoft-site.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Hi,

Have you found any solution? I have the same problem here, but don't want to upgrade to w2k.

Gr,
Steven
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Steven,

We don't have a problem, on NT4 we use Veritas BackupExec, on W2K we installed the minilibrary-driver.

Kind Regards,
Anton Rutten
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Currently, support for Digital Alpha and higher-end Storageworks products is not on this forum. If you are in the US or Canada, call 1-800-354-9000. If you are elsewhere, please contact our nearest offices for support information or check any service contracts you may have for the product in question.