1748156 Members
4202 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: TL891 and DL380 G2 - connecting

Andrew Kumar
Advisor

TL891 and DL380 G2 - connecting

I am trying to connect a TL891 Minilibrary to a DL380G2 server. The server has the following SCSI/Array cards:
1, 5i (integrated)
2, 5300 (2 channels)
3, Compaq/Adaptec Ultra 3 (2 channels)

As soon as I connect the TL891 to the server and power it up - the channel/card to which the TL891 is connected to fails with an error "1782 - Array controller failure"

But as soon as I disconnect the TL891 - the card is ok. I am able to connect and run (a stand alone 35/70 tape drive or compaq disk expansion array - all seems to be ok. Also they pass the diagnostics fine.

I have tried two different TL891's and different cables.

any ideas from anyone please, this is driving me nuts!!!

(sorry reposted - as I posted the first one in the swong section - doh!)
10 REPLIES 10
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Update #1

Just found another post saying that I should only be using the Ultra 3 card.

Again tried with redoing all the cables - but still I get the error "39160 - Port1 at slot 03 07:04:001701 - Scsi controller failure"

BTW how can I tell if I have a TL891 or a TL891DLX?

any help would be really helpfull.
Simon Setina
Advisor

Hi,

TL891 use HVD SCSI interface and TL891DLX use LVD/SE SCSI.

Near SCSI connectors is sticker. On stiker is described SCSI interface. SCSI diff means HVD.

If you have HVD you must add HVD SCSI HBA in Proliant.

Regards
Simon

Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Thanks for that - so the only difference between 891 and 891DLX is the connection type?

Anyway the two units I have say on the back model: 1200876-B22 and DS-TL891-NE. Both have a yellow sticker that says SCSI-DIFF. I have checked the terminator and that says diff as well.

So should the Compaq/Adaptec Ultra 3 card be able to drive these units? Only info about the card I have is "Compaq/Adaptec Ultra 3 - 39160" Bios ver.3.02.2

The built in Smart Array 5i has a connector marked VHDCI - but it still does not see the unit.

Please help me sort this problem out. Many thanks
Simon Setina
Advisor

Andrew,

You can not attached HVD SCSI to LVD/SE SCSI HBA. So you need new HVD (High Voltage Differencial) SCSI HBA.

Compaq/Adaptec Ultra 3, SmartArrays are LVD/SE adapters.

VHDCI is only type of connector not type of SCSI.

Simon
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Many thanks Simon,

I now understand the difference between LVD and HVD (plus VHDCI).

Can you (or anyone else) confirm that both the units below are definitely HVD?

DS-TL891-NE
120876-B22

Reason I ask is that one of these and the 39160 Ultra3 card were taken from a working system (where every thing was running correctly) but now they are not seeing each other.

BTW I have kept the original cable, card & TL891 unit together - only the server has changed.
Simon Setina
Advisor

Andrew,

Near Tape Library SCSI conectors is usualy yellow sticker. If is writen on it SCSI DIFF you have HVD.

Simon
Marino Meloni_1
Honored Contributor

during the SCSI interface evolution, the interface was first SE (Single ended) then the new communication standard was DIFF (differential) and used higher voltages than SE, and was not compatible. then later, the LVD (Low Voltage DIFF) appeared, this standard was compatible with SE, then the previous called DIFF mode, was renamed as HVD (High Voltage Differntia).
This is why you may have in old device the logo DIFF instead of HVD

so HVD and DIFF devices cannot be attached to your actual HBA as already explained
Andrew Kumar
Advisor

Yep - there is a yellow sticker on the Drive unit "SCSI Diff".

Looks like I need to order a HVD card doh!!!.

But still can not figure out how it was working in the first place!!! I even went back and dbl checked the other server.

Many thanks for your replies.
Louis Lohman

Okay - now I have a question. I have a DS TL891 NE with the second drive upgrade. I am trying to attach the library to a system with an Adaptec 39160 SCSI adapter. I thought this card would handle either HVD or LVD - but I get a "controller configuration error: 02" on post. Any notion if I'm barking up the wrong tree?
Lou