1753416 Members
5592 Online
108793 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TL891 not seeing DLT drive

Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

TL891 not seeing DLT drive

I just unpacked and installed a TL891 MiniLibrary. When I turn on the unit and power on, the POST completes ok. However, when I attempt to load a tape, I get "No DLTs attached".

I have checked all connections inside the unit, and all looks ok. This is a single-drive unit.
4 REPLIES 4
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

Re: TL891 not seeing DLT drive

Hi Jenn,

You don't say what's producing the message - is it on the library - or from the software ?

If the library is reporting no attached DLT's - you have a hardware problem. Best get an engineer to take a look.

Communications between library and drive is through a flat cable that plugs into the drive "caddy". If this cable is damaged or removed - that could cause this type of problem - but so could a lot of other things - bad configuration/drive in wrong location in the library/faulty drive/wrong drive type/drive not powered-up.

Do you know the history of this unit- has it been working previously ?

Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

Rich - thanks for the response!

The error message is showing on the LCD screen of the library.

The unit has been in storage for several months, and was working then.

There is a single TZ89 unit inside the library. It is getting power. I'm thinking about remove it from the unit and trying it through a direct SCSI connection to my server - sound like a plan?
rich pattison
Trusted Contributor

You don't have to remove it from the library to do that - just connect up a suitable server/adapter to either of the two "middle" connectors at the back of the library, and put a terminator on the other (they should have 'DLT1' stamped into the metalwork between them). You may have to remove the short daisy-chain SCSI cable to the pair of connectors marked "library".

If your server can't detect the drive - then you most probably have a faulty drive - but make sure you have the correct adapter installed - these units were produced in SCSI HVD and LVD variants (and they aren't compatible!).
Jenn Davis
Occasional Advisor

Thanks - I'll give this a try over the weekend and let you know!