1753297 Members
6942 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

TR-4 tape problem

Fred Kleinberg
Occasional Advisor

TR-4 tape problem

Recently inherited over 20 IMATION TR-4 tape cartridges. Using an HP Travan 8GB tape drive with STOMP BackupMyPC, get an unrecoverable hardware error for all operations. Tried tapediag.exe and get "wrong tape." Tried firmware upgrade - no change. Can't re-format -can't do anything. I'm assuming that the previous backup hardware/software customized all of the tapes. Is there anything that will "shock" these tapes into behaving?
10 REPLIES 10
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

Re: TR-4 tape problem

What O/S are you runing??
Fred Kleinberg
Occasional Advisor

WIN98-SE
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

What you can try is install CBII 8.0 and try to CBII to format the tapes, or run retention on them using CBII software
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?locale=en_USтМй=English+%28US%29&pnameOID=12504&prodSeriesId=63937&prodTypeId=12169&basePartNum=COL2293&locBasepartNum=co-10416-1&os=Microsoft+Windows+98&tech=Application
Fred Kleinberg
Occasional Advisor

Not a bad idea - Tried it - N/G; Turns out that STOMP BackupMyPC is a more advanced version (2003) of the CO-Backup 8.0 (1999). There may not be a solution... Aaaargh!
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

If other tapes working ok, it could be that all 20 IMATION TR-4 tapes are bad.

Munir!
Fred Kleinberg
Occasional Advisor

It's possible, but they were all working when the drive and the tapes were taken out of service. I'm trying to determine the OS and app that were run prior to me.
BR664511
Advisor

Re Formatting tapes, have you tried using HP TapeDiag to read/write test the drive & your inmation tapes? When the TapeDaig overwrites the tape most backup progs then need to 'initialise' the tape before use. This may overcome your problem.

Hope this helps.
Barry.
Fred Kleinberg
Occasional Advisor

Tapediag.exe will not perform the read and write tests on the tape - says the tape is the "wrong type." Makes no sense at all.

Also, I've determined that the previous drive and software were: HP 8GB, Colo Backup, WIN95.
Munir_1
Trusted Contributor

You should try contacting Imation and see if they have any warranty on the tap.