6322 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape Drive Mechanical Block 8A 41 error

SBailey
Occasional Contributor

Tape Drive Mechanical Block 8A 41 error

Hi,

I have a HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Autoloader (using an LTO3 drive). I'm using Backup Exec v12 to control the drive. I haven't had any issues until today.

I was importing a tape, through the mail slot. While the tape was being moved, there was a strange noise and know the "Error" light is blinking. I haven't tried a backup, but I was able to get the tape out. I have been able to import other tapes without issue.

I see that I the error is Mechanical Block 8A 41. Any idea what this is and how to resolve it?

Thanks,

Scott
5 REPLIES 5
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

The following link will be useful.

8A : Slider obstructed
41: Error during first slider movement

Recommended action given :Run the wellness test

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3319912&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c00821126
SBailey
Occasional Contributor

I performed the wellness test and I get the following:

Cycles Rec Err
------ -------
1 0

I still have the flashing error light and still have the same error Mechanical Block 8A 41.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Scott
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

That error is for the transport attempting to pull the tape out of the slot and getting an error for too much force required. 8Ah is a "slider block" and the slider is the push/pull motion. 41h is an error in the very first attempt to pull the tape in.

Usually this will mean that for some reason the tape stuck in the slot a bit and if it goes away then there isn't any reason to be concerned about it.

Following an error the error light will blink until the library is reset - there isn't any way for the library to tell that the problem is resolved.
SBailey
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the reply Curtis.

When I go into the web interface, the device is still showing an error. When I reset the library, will it clear this also?

To reset the library, do I just power cycle the device?

Thanks,

Scott
Curtis Ballard
Honored Contributor

Yes a power cycle will clear the error everywhere except in the history logs. It will stay in the history forever or until new errors push it out. It's a little annoying always having old errors that weren't serious there but I've gotten used to it.