108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape drive VS80 and DLT1 compatibility issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
Asif Anwar

Tape drive VS80 and DLT1 compatibility issue

Dear All

According to my information both VS80 and DLT1 are read write compatible with each other. But when I try to restore a backup,taken on VS80, to a DLT1 drive it gaves and error message like "cpio: read error: Input/output error".
Can anyone please shed some light on this.

Thanks
Asif
6 REPLIES 6
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

Hello Asif, It has been a few years since I dealt with the problem, but If I remember - a DLT1 40 GB tape was readable by the VS80.. I could not read a 70GB or 80 GB (DLT8000)tape. It was not compatible.. I had my VS80 units replaced because of the incompatibility. I was using DLT4000, DLT7000 and DLT8000 (40,70, and 80 GB compressed) drives. The only way to utlilize the media would in some cases be to Degauss the media and reformat in the VS80.. I do not know if this helps..
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor

One more thing. I realized that you created on the VS80 and tried to read on the DLT1.. That will not work.. The VS80 had a different write algorithm that is not readable by the DLT1. You may be able to read some tapes created on the DLT1 with the VS80 , but not the other way..
Tommy
Asif Anwar

Thanks Tommy

Yes I know and have also experienced that DLT1 and DLT8000 are not compatible.

But I am not clear about the VS80 and DLT1. Are you sure that backups taken by VS80 can not be restored through DLT1 as there are some documents which claim that both VS80 and DLT1 are read/write comaptible.

Best regards and thanks
Asif
Christian Peter
Frequent Advisor

They are NOT write compatible!
i've tested many hours but no way
DLT1 is BTSC1-Format
VS80 i don'T remember

you have to degaus your tapes to use them in the other streamer
Tommy Brown
Respected Contributor
Solution

Asif, I too thought the documentation indicated compatiblilty.. But I found that the VS80 is only compatible READING, but not writing a DLT1 (20-40GB) tape. You will NOT read the tape on the DLT1.
Sorry,
Tommy
Asif Anwar

thanks