5589 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Tape drive disappears

Wieser
Occasional Advisor

Tape drive disappears

ML370 G4 Running Windows 2003 sp2
We have two MSL6030 connected into two u320e cards.
The drive and libraries are detected in the BIOS and within Windows. We are running NetBackup 6.5 a few backups will run then the eventlog will show errors for the express2 driver: The device \Device\Scsi\express21, is not ready for access yet.

And a tape drive will have gone missing from the Device Manager.

Any suggestions?
14 REPLIES 14
Patrick Terlisten
Honored Contributor

Hello,

is the RSM servie running? If yes, set it to "disabled". Try a firmware and driver update, and check the cabling and the termination. Is it always the same drive, that disappears?

Best regards,
Patrick
Best regards,
Patrick
Wieser
Occasional Advisor

RSM has been disabled and all firmware and drivers are up to date. Is there a utility to test SCSI termination. All green LEDS on the libaries. System starts up fine with all devices visible but then the same drive disappears.

Thanks
Shiju Samuel Thomas
Frequent Advisor

Reinstall the Drivers for the Drive. I have seen many issues where this has fixed the Problem.

Also check for the Firmware of the Drive. You can check it with the L&TT tool, from www.hp.com/support/tapetools

I am an HP employee
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
maybe also u320 fc/scsi mapping should be checked for the correct host to drive assignments
the pain is one part of the reality
Wieser
Occasional Advisor

Thanks for all the suggestions. All the firmware and drivers are up to date for the tapes, libraries and HBAs. The other day built a new server, ML370 G5, with a brand new u320e. Attached is an MSL6030 with Ultrium2 drives. Again all drivers and firmware are up to date and I'm still getting the same express2 errors. Anyone have any other ideas?
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

Hi,
The lib drives are SCSI. The e320e card is a FC/SCSI router. If you install the new host, its HBA port wwns are not assigned to the library SCSI drives (they are missing from the port 0 map), therefore the host does not see them. You should check the port 0 map and add/assigned the hosts HBA port wwns to the appropriate library drives
Wieser
Occasional Advisor

Are you sure the u320e have FC capabilities?
This is the unit I'm using:
http://h18000.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12690_div/12690_div.html
Model No.: AH627A

IBaltay
Honored Contributor

No, I was to quick to see the diference between the u320 and thought you are using the the NSR :-)
IBaltay
Honored Contributor

But, if you decide in any time to go to the LANfree, then it applies :-)