StoreEver Tape Storage
1748180 Members
4386 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Tape drive keeps losing power

Peter Tran_3

Tape drive keeps losing power

I have a surestore DAT24 model c1537A on a HP LC2000 server running win2000 server. The Tape drive seems to lose all power every few days (light goes out, cannot eject tape). The only way for me to get it back is to reboot the server or do a update on the firmware. Is this a defective tape drive or is there a fix to this problem.

thanks
Peter Tran

P.S. This thread has been moved from General to Tape Libraries and Drive. - Hp Forum Moderator

2 REPLIES 2
Eugeny Brychkov
Honored Contributor

Re: Tape drive keeps losing power

Hi Peter,
I remember I heard something about moving this drive from embedded SCSI controller to addon Adaptec 2940UW controller. It's worth to try
Eugeny
Wendy Dick_1
Occasional Advisor

Re: Tape drive keeps losing power

Hi Peter,

Your DAT drive has the "sleepy drive" disorder.

You can possibly cure it by downloading Library and Tape Tools and flashing the firmware

http://www.hp.com/support/tapetools

Before you run the Tape tools make sure you disable the RMS - Removable Storage in your Services - start - control panel - Admin Tools - Services

If you have Backup Exec or any other backup software running - diable that as well.

Then run the Tape Tools, it will scan for your drive - then select it by clicking on the By Product tab. It should be hi-lited in blue, now you can select the Firmware button to upgrade the firmware or re-flash it.

If that doesn't work you'll be calling me in Tech Support to replace the drive.

Good luck.
Live life large or die small